E-M:/ Alternative solution: Turkey farmers seek state funding to convertwaste into 'green' power

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Alexander J. Sagady wrote:

... see below ...

I am not sure what volume of manure they are proposing to process but
I think turning it into solid fuel will require a considerable amount
of fossil fuel btus, whereas in terms of the efficency of converting
manure waste to energy, anaerobic composting would eliminate that need
for fossil fuel btus, as part of the methane created by the composting
process is also used to maintain the correct anaerobic composting
temperature.

Anaerobic composting would also eliminate the air borne oxides of
nitrogen problem and the phosphorus would be bound in a stable slow
release form when the compost is used as a soil amendment.

As for the arsenic, I believe that it can be converted to a stable
form through composting, and the experts on the U.S. Composting Council
discussion list could definitively answer that question, especially
Dr. Rufus Chaney.

In short, converting organic waste to energy should be supported
but in this case, it appears that they are proposing a cheaper method,
rather than choosing anaerobic composting which requires a higher
initial capital investment.

Therein lies the main problem of converting all of our Michigan
organic waste into energy, by recovering its methane content through
anaerobic composting, as Michigan does not have a funding source which
does not depend upon tax payer dollars but instead, uses bond issues,
in a manner similar to the Michigan State Housing Development Authority,
whose program is self sustaining.

If we are to eliminate not only the manure problems created by cafos,
etc. but also, all the other problems of our organic waste disposal
and our current dependence on landfills and incinerators, we must
develop state support for investment in anaerobic composting facilities,
through a self sustaining program similar to MSHDA.

Lowell Prag