E-M:/ Solving our organic waste problems ...

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Anne M. Woiwode wrote:

> Thanks for your question -- more than 50 Sierra Club members and
> supporters came to the Capitol for a full day of meetings with
> Legislators.  This wonderful, diverse group ranged in age from teenagers
> to senior citizens, came from all over the lower peninsula, and talked
> about three primary issues:
> - the critical need to address concentrated animal feeding operations
> (CAFOS), which attention to asking legislators to oppose the methane
> digester subsidy bills which were before the House that day; and

Hello Anne,

Could you please explain the logic of your above position.

My understanding is that it is not a give away of tax payer dollars but
rather, a loan program beginning with a total of $25,000,000 that is to
be made available:

BIOMASS LOANS
http://www.michiganlegislature.org/documents/2003-2004/
billanalysis/house/htm/2003-HLA-0953-3.htm

>From a technical viewpoint:

the only logical solution to the enormous amounts of manure that are
produced by cafos, is the use of anaerobic composting disgesters which
extract from organic wastes, methane gas for use as fuel to produce
electricity which is sent back into utility company's power grid, for
sale back to them, while also producing compost for use on our farm lands,
displacing the present use of petrol-chemical derived fertilizers which
not only consume huge amounts of fossil fuel to produce, but also destroy
the long-term viability of the soil.

It should be noted that anaerobic composting disgesters can also solve
in a similar fashion, the current problems we have with disposing of
our organic wastes in landfills and incinerators but that is another
discussion.

For a model of a large scale, successful implementation of such an
approach to organic wastes, I refer you to Nova Scotia in Canada.
Michigan should also implement such an approach, by educating the
general public and our political leaders as to the feasibility.

Below is an email from David Wimberly <davidwimberly@eastlink.ca>,
who pioneered much of the work in Nova Scotia and which explains
their approach.

It can also be read here:

[USCC] Biomass energy priorities ...
http://mailman.cloudnet.com/pipermail/compost/2004-September/012532.html

I also refer you to this unique index approach that they take to the
general issue of sustainability which Michigan should also develop:

GPI Atlantic - A Genuine Progress Index (GPI) to Measure Sustainability
http://gpiatlantic.org/

Regards,

Lowell Prag