E-M:/ Facts not fiction - Re: Solving our organic waste problems ...

Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Anne M. Woiwode wrote:

... see below ...

Hello Anne,

In your below response to my post which is also below, you summarily
dismiss the use of anaerobic composting digesters to help solve our
organic waste problems and all of the technical objections that you
state, are not facts but fiction.

You also intermix other dubious objections which have nothing to do
with the technical effectiveness of anaerobic composting digesters in
solving our organic waste problems.

Apparently you have neither visited nor studied anaerobic composting
digesters in Europe, as for many decades, it has been a proven technology
and is widely used for the exact purposes that I state and without the
technical problems that you cite.

Within the USA, we have not learned from Europe
for many reasons, a few of which are:

lack of a willingness on the part of some of our engineers to fully
draw upon designs that are proven in Europe and thus, have implemented
poor systems, leading to your type dismissal of the technology;

lack of a willingness on the part of our agricultural industry, to
invest in the technology due in the main, to the above and the higher
cost when compared to cheap, low end technologies that are widely used
in the USA, like storage lagoons and the spreading of raw, non-composted
manure which in many instances, cause much ecological damage.

As I am not an anaerobic digester engineer, I will now submit your
post to the U.S. Composting Council discussion group for comments from
those who are engineers knowledgeable in state-of-the-art technology,
in order to verify all of your below technical errors which you cite
in your dismissal of the technology and for which I do have enough
knowledge to comment upon but I prefer to provide expert engineering
witness that carries a credibility that my comments would not provide
to all the members of this Michigan discussion group, in their efforts
to understand solutions to our organic waste problems.

As soon as I have those comments, I will post them here and we and the
others in this discussion group, can further evaluate solutions to those
problems which are based on fact and not dismissed by fiction.

Regards,

Lowell Prag