Congress shows little support for effort to draw skilled Americans
By ERIC ROSENBERG
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER WASHINGTON BUREAU
Saturday, March 13, 2004

"A Pentagon official familiar with personnel issues stressed that the armed forces are against any form of conscription but acknowledged that the groundwork is already under way at the Selective Service System."

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/164693_draft13.html

Dem lawmakers split on military draft
By Mary Lynn F. Jones

The Hill
July 29, 2004

Democratic lawmakers were divided yesterday over whether the United States should reinstate the draft even as an adviser to Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) suggested increasing active-duty troops by 40,000.

Retired Gen. Wesley Clark, a former presidential hopeful who has now endorsed Kerry, warned that the volunteer-force concept is at “grave risk” and that the draft should be the last resort.

He said, “We better be thinking about the draft or have it as a fallback. We’ve got to be honest with the commitment that we’re faced with. We’ve got about two years to fix these [shortage] problems before the bill comes due.”

http://www.hillnews.com/news/072904/military.aspx