Re: E-M:/ Former DNR director works for developer

Enviro-Mich message from Smileysmlc@aol.com

In a message dated 10/15/04 11:50:51 AM, imagine@betsievalley.net writes:

<< Big surprise.....what took him so long? >>

When K.L. Cool was the DNR Director, it appeared that he was already working
for David Johnson.  The South Fox Island situation presented some clear
opportunities to benefit the public but, instead, the DNR and Governor Engler put
private interests ahead of the public interest.  The South Fox Island land swap
should be remembered as the fiasco that it truly was.

It's unfortunate that today's Republican leadership is dominated by
ideologues who put private inurement ahead of public benefit.  It wasn't always that
way, witness the likes of Theodore Roosevelt and Governor Milliken, my personal
heroes.  I suppose that it is especially disconcerting in that I was raised in
a Republican family, and have voted for many over the years.  Unfortunately,
today's Republican Party is a corrupt shadow of it's former self.  It's time
to vote them all out.  Maybe that will bring the GOP leadership back into the
mainstream, and restore a once-proud tradition of conservation leadership to a
once-grand party.

Jack Smiley