From: "Pete Pasterz" <ppasterz@pplant.msu.edu>
To: <shepard@acd.net>; <enviro-mich@great-lakes.net>
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2004 6:03 PM
Subject: Re: E-M:/Sinclair Broadcast Group Press release

Enviro-Mich message from "Pete Pasterz" <ppasterz@pplant.msu.edu>

Note that Sinclair now claims they intend to do an investigative news story,
not simply showing Stolen Honor....

Station list follows...note only one in MI, Flint.

Sinclair to Air "A POW Story"

    BALTIMORE (October 19, 2004) - Sinclair Broadcast Group  (Nasdaq:  SBGI)
announced today that on Friday, October 22, 2004 at  8:00  p.m.  (7:00  p.m.
central time)  certain  television  stations  owned  by  Sinclair  Broadcast
Group, Inc. will air a special one-hour news program, entitled A POW  Story:
Politics, Pressure and the Media.  In order to minimize the interruption  of
normally scheduled programming in those markets where Sinclair  owns  and/or
programs more  than  one  television  station,  the  news  special  will  be
broadcast on only one of those stations.  A complete list of stations  which
will be airing the program and the times of such broadcasts is attached.

    The news special will focus in part on  the  use  of  documentaries  and
other media to influence voting, which emerged  during  the  2004  political
campaigns, as well as on the content  of  certain  of  these  documentaries.
The program will also examine  the  role  of  the  media  in  filtering  the
information contained in these documentaries, allegations of media  bias  by
media organizations that ignore or filter legitimate news and  the  attempts
by candidates and other organizations to influence media coverage.

    Contrary to  numerous  inaccurate  political  and  press  accounts,  the
Sinclair stations will not be airing the documentary "Stolen Honor"  in  its
entirety.  At no time did Sinclair ever publicly announce that  it  intended
to do so.  In fact, since the  controversy  began,  Sinclair's  website  has
prominently displayed the following statement: "The  program  has  not  been
videotaped and the exact format  of  this  unscripted  event  has  not  been
finalized. Characterizations regarding the content  are  premature  and  are
based on ill-informed sources."

    While the news special will discuss the allegations surrounding  Senator
John Kerry's anti-Vietnam War activities in the  early  1970s  raised  by  a
number of former POWs in "Stolen Honor," it will do so  in  the  context  of
the broader discussion outlined above.  The program will be hosted  by  Jeff
Barnd, the Emmy award winning co-anchor of Fox 45's 10:00  News  which  airs
on WBFF-TV, Sinclair's flagship station in Baltimore, Maryland.

    Joe DeFeo, Sinclair's Vice President of News commented  that,  "As  with
all news programming produced by Sinclair's News Central,  A  POW  Story  is
being produced with the highest journalistic standards  and  integrity.   We
have not ceded, and will not  in  the  future  cede,  control  of  our  news
reporting  to  any  outside  organization  or  political  group.    We   are
endeavoring, as we do with all of our news coverage, to present  both  sides
of the issues covered in an equal and impartial manner."

    In fact,  Sinclair  has  been  in  private  communication  with  Senator
Kerry's campaign,  including  a  recent  face-to-face  meeting  with  senior
campaign officials, for  approximately  two  weeks  in  order  to  negotiate
participation in the special  by  either  Senator  Kerry  or  his  designee.
Although the Kerry campaign declined to participate, Sinclair has  left  the
invitation open and will make every effort to accommodate the Senator up  to
the air date for the  program  should  he  become  willing  to  present  his
viewpoint for Sinclair's audience.

    David Smith noted that, "The experience of preparing to  air  this  news
special has been trying for many of those involved.  The  company  and  many
of its executives have endured personal attacks of  the  vilest  nature,  as
well as calls on our advertisers and our viewers  to  boycott  our  stations
and on our  shareholders  to  sell  their  stock.   In  addition,  and  more
shockingly, we have  received  threats  of  retribution  from  a  member  of
Senator John Kerry's campaign and have seen attempts by leading  members  of
Congress  to  influence  the  Federal  Communications  Commission  to   stop
Sinclair from broadcasting this news special.  Moreover,  these  coordinated
attacks have occurred without regard to the facts since  they  predated  the
broadcast of our news special."

    Mr. Smith further stated, "We cannot in a  free  America  yield  to  the
misguided attempts by a small but vocal minority to influence  behavior  and
trample on the First Amendment rights of those  with  whom  they  might  not
agree. I have been encouraged, however, by  the  thousands  of  e-mails  and
other messages I, and others,  received  supporting  Sinclair's  efforts  to
hold firm to its ideals in the face of a  firestorm  of  controversy  which,
ironically, was actually based on misinformation.  We also took  comfort  in
the positions of other media organizations  which  supported  our  right  to
present this story notwithstanding any disagreement they may have  with  the
content, as well as in the words of Michael Powell, Chairman of the FCC  who
refused  to  block  the  program,  noting   that   to   do   so   would   be
'unconstitutional' and 'an absolute disservice to the First Amendment.'"

    Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc., one of the largest and most diversified
television broadcasting companies, owns and operates, programs, or provides
sales services to 62 television stations in 39 markets.  Sinclair's
television group includes FOX, WB, ABC, CBS, NBC, and UPN affiliates and
reaches approximately 24% of all U.S. television households.

Market & Stations To Air "A POW Story"
Baltimore  WBFF  Friday 10/22  8PM
Birmingham  WTTO  Friday 10/22  7PM
Buffalo  WUTV  Friday 10/22  8PM
Cedar Rapids  KGAN  Friday 10/22  7PM
Champaign, IL  WICD  Friday 10/22  7PM
Charleston, SC  WMMP  Friday 10/22  8PM
Charleston, WV  WCHS  Friday 10/22  8PM
Cincinnati  WSTR  Friday 10/22  8PM
Columbus  WSYX  Friday 10/22  8PM
Dayton  WKEF  Friday 10/22  8PM
Des Moines  KDSM  Friday 10/22  7PM
Flint  WSMH  Friday 10/22  8PM
Greensboro  WXLV  Friday 10/22  8PM
Greenville/Asheville  WLOS  Friday 10/22  8PM
Kansas City  KSMO  Friday 10/22  7PM
Las Vegas  KVWB  Friday 10/22  8PM
Lexington  WDKY  Friday-10/22  8PM
Madison  WMSN  Friday-10/22  7PM
Milwaukee  WVTV  Friday-10/22  7PM
Minneapolis  KMWB  Friday-10/22  7PM
Nashville  WZTV  Friday 10/22  7PM
Norfolk  WTVZ  Friday 10/22  8PM
Oklahoma City  KOKH  Friday 10/22  7PM
Paducah  KBSI  Friday 10/22  7PM
Pensacola/Mobile  WEAR  Friday 10/22  7PM
Peoria  WYZZ  Friday 10/22  7PM
Pittsburgh  WPGH  Friday-10/22  8PM
Portland  WGME  Friday 10/22  8PM
Raleigh  WLFL  Friday 10/22  8PM
Richmond  WRLH  Friday-10/22  8PM
Rochester  WUHF  Friday 10/22  8PM
Sacramento  KOVR  Friday 10/22  7PM
St. Louis  KDNL  Friday 10/22  7PM
San Antonio  KABB  Friday 10/22  7PM
Springfield, MA  WGGB  Friday 10/22  8PM
Springfield, IL  WICS  Friday 10/22  7PM
Syracuse  WSYT  Friday 10/22  8PM
Tallahassee  WTWC  Friday 10/22  8PM
Tampa  WTTA  Friday 10/22  8PM
Tri Cities  WEMT  Friday 10/22  8PM

Back

 a "The experience of preparing to  a

Copyright 2003 Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc.

>>> Phil Shepard <shepard@acd.net> 10/21/04 05:57PM >>>
Enviro-Mich message from Phil Shepard <shepard@acd.net>

See second link below to find Sinclair stations.
ps