E-M:/ RE: / St. Clair County election results

EnviroMich friends

Environmentalists justifiably concerned about the emergence of Green candidates on the political landscape in recent years might take heart in a big victory for democracy in Ferndale last night. Our ballot initiative for Instant Runoff Voting won with almost 70 per cent. It only applies to Ferndale elections now, but we move on to Ann Arbor next and then eventually the state, where IRV will be used for the WH election, etc.

What this means for the environment is that candidates like Ralph Nader will be able to participate in elections (like anyone could stop him) without splitting the environmental vote and some really hideous characters getting elected.

Greens like myself have suffered endless and misplaced wrath merely for exercising our political right of participation in elections. i'm very proud that it is Greens who are taking responsibility for fixing our currently flawed voting system which too often results in plurality, minority-rule elections.

i really like Gary Peters, and he was a personal friend and ally in other battles. i wanted to see him elected, certainly not Cox! With IRV, Peters WOULD be the AG today, despite the Green challenger in that race.

Environmentalists might also be pleased with the elections of Fred Miller, Aldo Vagnozzi and Alma Wheeler Smith last night, among a few other bright spots in an otherwise dismal evening.

Thanks for all the great work you folks do!

PS: Some may remember me as "tom ness," Green candidate for US Senate in 2000. i dropped out of that race because i didn't want to be responsible for Sen. Abraham's re-election. This year i came out as transgendered, and now my friends call me "stacie."

Love,

stacie

Stephanie "Stacie" Trescott
Founder/Cacophonist
Jam Rag/Green House

* Green House - "The Idea Factory!"
248-336-9241   greenhouse@jamrag.com
www.greenhouseonline.org
22757 Woodward at 9 Mile, Ste 210, Ferndale
MAIL: Box 20076, Ferndale MI 48220

* Jam Rag - "Detroit's Music Magazine."
248-336-9243   jamrag@glis.net
www.jamrag.com