RE: E-M:/ Dow Alert: EPA to Use Poor Kids for Pesticide Study -- Dow is one of funders

Enviro-Mich message from "harrisc" <Craig.Harris@ssc.msu.edu>

it is not an urban legend, but the situation is definitely subject to
interpretation . . .
below is the usepa press release from this past wednesday november 10th . .
. for those who have not been following the situation, a large amount of
controversy motivated usepa to reassess the intended project . . .
the url of the press release is
http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/b1ab9f485b098972852562e7004dc686/c1
579f511414457985256f470079f736!OpenDocument
cheers,
craig

craig k harris
department of sociology
michigan agricultural experiment station
national food safety and toxicology center
institute for food and agricultural standards
michigan state university

Press Advisory: EPA Statement on Children's Environmental Exposure Research
Study
Contact: Cynthia Bergman 202-564-9828 / bergman.cynthia@epa.gov

(Washington, D.C. - November 9, 2004) Because protecting the health and
well-being of children is of paramount importance, EPA has decided to send
the Children's Environmental Exposure Research Study (CHEERS) for another
external, independent review by an expert panel made up of members of the
Science Advisory Board, the Science Advisory Panel, and the Children's
Health Protection Advisory Committee. It is anticipated that this review
will be completed and that a report will be forwarded to the Administrator
in the spring of 2005. Based on this review, the Agency will reassess the
study.

EPA scientists need to fully understand how children are exposed to
pesticides and through what media (air, water, soil, etc.) EPA is
particularly concerned about childhood exposure, because children may be
more vulnerable than adults to the effects of environmental contaminants due
to their smaller body sizes and rapid physical development. There is
insufficient research to define pathways of exposure - - the routes by which
pesticides may enter a child's body. Possible pathways that could be
investigated are ingestion (food and drink), inhalation, residue from crops,
soil and ingestion of household dust.

CHEERS was designed to fill these critical data gaps in our understanding of
children's exposure to pesticides and chemicals in household environments,
ultimately leading to actions that would lower children's exposures to
pesticides. The study design was externally reviewed for scientific merit
and ethical protections by four Institutional Review Boards (IRBs) for the
Protection of Human Subjects. The IRBs and the dates they approved the study
are: Battelle Memorial Institute (August 2004), University of North Carolina
(September 2004), Duval County (Florida) Health Department (conditional
approval) and University of Florida (May 2004).

As a federal agency, EPA wants all research to be transparent to the public
and to be responsive to public feedback. Citizens are key stakeholders in
our work. EPA makes information on current and completed research activities
available to the public through various means, including the on-line Science
Inventory at: http://www.epa.gov/si .

R212 ###

Release date:11/09/2004