From: owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
[mailto:owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net] On Behalf Of Alex J. Sagady &
Associates
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2004 6:16 PM
To: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
Subject: E-M:/ Saying Goodbye to Mary Beth Doyle and Stewart Freeman

-

Yesterday I attended the memorial service for Mary Beth Doyle.

There were between 400 and 500 people there [possibly more], standing
room only, in the Unitarian Church in Ann Arbor.....a real tribute to
the life and times of Mary Beth.

Many in attendance noted that, even in our grief, we enjoyed the joyous
music and dance at the memorial service, which were part
of Mary Beth's life.   We also heard the Mary Beth version of the
Elvis' "Return to Sender"....part of the brilliant campaign Mary Beth
had created on the out-of-state/Toronto trash opposition/PR campaign.

We heard from Mike Garfield and others about Mary Beth's inspirational
life
and her influence on other people and events.   Mike noted one EM
contributor's
comment about how Mary Beth's style inspired others in how they display
their activism.

I have taken the liberty of posting the memorial announcement titled "A
Joyous Presence" about Mary Beth's life at:
http://www.sagady.com/stuff/marybeth.pdf    which has two
pictures of Mary Beth and some inspirational information about her
career and life.

The Ecology Center of Ann Arbor has created "The Mary Beth Doyle
Memorial Fund"
for memorials in her honor.   More on this at:
http://www.ecocenter.org/

As for me, I received, perhaps, Mary Beth's last mission/assignment a
few days before her death.....look into the entire matter of the
Hamtramck waste incinerator permitting.
Being someone who is paid for their environmental protection work
mostly, I am hoping that Mary Beth's optimism about doing something
about this particular toxic emission source will give me some
inspiration about addressing problems at this facility.

On Monday I attended the funeral for Stewart Freeman at St. Thomas
Church in
East Lansing.   Most of us who knew Stewart always saw the
lawyer-professional
side of him.   For several years he would be the one attending meetings
of the
Michigan Air Pollution Control Commission from the AGs offfice and other
state environmental commissions.

I learned a lot more about Stewart as family man and doting father at
the
funeral.    I
was not aware of Stewart's involvement in the whole state anti-tobacco
company litigation that has been so important in recent times.

It was good hearing former Attorney General Frank Kelly talk about
Stewart's life and times.

Stewart was fond of passing down to others Michigan's environmental
history.   Fortunately
we also have Dave Dempsey doing this now on an ongoing basis.   Stewart
and
William Cooper at MSU had many stories to tell about how the state
handled environmental
cleanup.   Stewart knew that awareness of our past history on
environmental
protection and
conservation of resources was the best way to keep our state from
repeating mistakes.

Perhaps Stewart's most significant contribution as a public servant was
poking at recalcitrant polluters and responsible parties for cleanup and
ensuring that what the MDNR and MDEQ wanted to see for such cleanup
would be fully enforceable.  In this vein, it was Stewart's
participation in moving along agreements and cleanups at the most
serious toxic contamination sites in the state during the late 70's,
80's and early 90's that will be his most lasting and important
contribution to the health, safety and environmental protection of
Michigan citizens.

Losing both of these pillars of Michigan environmental protection and
conservation, Mary Beth and Stewart, reminds me again of what it takes
to make special leaders in our cause and how such leadership will be
continued into the future.

I'm especially concerned because I see sometimes a generation gap in the
citizen volunteer movement with less involvement by those in their
20's and 30's.    Back in the 60's and 70's a big chunk of citizen
environmental
activitsm came from high school and college students.   I remember one
Michigan guy,
Tom Bailey, who used to joke about "how I flunked out of school for
conservation."   If
memory serves me correctly, he took on the issue of wilderness
designations for Isle Royale National Park while he was at MSU  [i don't
think he ever actually flunked out but he
used to joke about this].   How do we rekindle the whole idea that what
students take on with environmental protection can become a "mission
critical"
involvement?

Michigan has had a history of very strong environmental protection and
conservation traditions that has frequently led to individual citizens
volunteering their leadership and
time to specific issues, lands, campaigns, etc.   Other states don't
have
this strong of
a tradition.    Engler tried to beat activists into a pulp, following
the
whole right wing effort
to try to destroy the citizen environmental movement.    So far, I
haven't
seen much out
of the Granholm Administration that seeks to rekindle the pre-Engler
spirit as far as
serious public participation in policy, permitting and enforcement.   .

But I digress.....   Lois Gibb was at Mary Beth Doyle's memorial
service.   Ms. Gibb was
the citizen leader who lived next to the Love Canal in Niagara Falls, NY
who vaulted that
issue to national visibility.   She heads the Center for Health,
Environment and Justice in DC
http://www.chej.org      In talking with Lois she was also concerned
about
the generation gap issue
noting low interest previously on college campuses.   But she said
recently
there has been
a significant uptick in student environmental interest on campuses and
that more students are coming to college talks she attends now.....so
perhaps there is some basis for hope on the matter of younger
environmentalists taking leadership in our movement.

In any event....so it goes in a week remembering two pillars of
environmental protection....

Alex Sagady

Waste/Community Environmental and Resource Protection Prospectus at:
http://www.sagady.com/sagady.pdf

PO Box 39,  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com

enviro-mich"

Confidential:  This electronic message and all contents
contain information from the law firm of Honigman Miller
Schwartz and Cohn LLP which may be privileged,
confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure.
The information is intended to be for the addressee
only.  If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, copy,
distribution or use of the contents of this message is
prohibited.  If you have received this electronic message
in error, please notify us immediately (313.465.7000)
and destroy the original message and all copies.