From: Department of Natural Resources publications list [mailto:DNRWIRE@LISTSERV.MICHIGAN.GOV] On Behalf Of Bradley Wurfel
Sent:
Tuesday, November 23, 2004 5:03 PM
To: DNRWIRE@LISTSERV.MICHIGAN.GOV
Subject: Public meeting to discuss state land ownership strategy

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, 23 NOV 04

Contact: Paul Yauk, 517-335-4824

Public meeting to discuss state land ownership strategy

Michigan Department of Natural Resources officials today announced a Nov. 30 meeting in Benton Harbor to discuss and receive public comment on state property in Berrien County.

The DNR earlier this year identified new boundaries for state parks, forests and game areas as part of its effort to best manage state land holdings. The second of three phases in the DNR’s land ownership strategy reviews state-owned, DNR-administered lands located outside the boundaries, and evaluates their contribution to the DNR’s natural resource management goals.

The Nov. 30 meeting, from 6-8 p.m. at the Holiday Inn, 2275 Pipestone Road, is an opportunity for interested residents to review the department’s preliminary recommendations and offer public input.       “Ultimately, we are working to ensure that lands managed by the DNR are effectively meeting public needs,” said DNR Resource Management Deputy Mindy Koch. “These lands are key in fulfilling

the DNR’s mission of providing public outdoor recreation and natural resource protection and management for present and future generations.”

The DNR Land Exchange Review Committee will incorporate public comments into its final recommendations to the DNR Director, expected in February 2005.

For more information, visit the DNR Web site at www.michigan.gov/dnr, or call Paul Yauk at 517-335-4824.

####

To remove your name from this e-mail list, send an e-mail message from your own e-mail address to listserv@listserv.michigan.gov with this in the body of

your message: signoff dnrwire

To get back on the list, send an e-mail message from your own e-mail address to listserv@listserv.michigan.gov with this in the body of your message:

subscribe dnrwire your name (Use an alias, if you prefer.)

There's also an electronic form on the State of Michigan home page at http://www.state.mi.us/listserv/subscribe.html