E-M:/ Capitol News Service story on Michigan CAFOS

The South Bend Tribune carried the below story, which covers CAFO issues in Bad Axe, Kalamazoo County and Lenawee County, as well as discussing the issues state wide – this MAY be in Michigan papers as well, but this was forwarded to me so I wanted to pass it along – Anne Woiwode

November 29, 2004

Courts may address factory farms

Air, water quality issues generate plenty of controversy

By ZACHARY M. PETERSON
Capital News Service

LANSING -- The smell of manure is not unusual in agricultural communities.

Yet with increases in the number of concentrated animal feeding operations in the last 10 years, large industrialized farms continue to generate controversy over air and water quality.

Michigan has about 200 CAFOs, according to the Department of Environmental Quality. An exact number is hard to obtain because the DEQ and the Department of Agriculture are still unsure on how to accurately determine what constitutes a CAFO. It's broadly defined as a confined area where large numbers of animals are housed and fed.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/stories/2004/11/29/local.20041129-sbt-MICH-B2-Courts_may_address.sto

Anne Woiwode, Director

Sierra Club Mackinac Chapter

109 East Grand River Avenue,  Lansing, MI  48906

ph: 517-484-2372 fx: 517-484-3108 e: anne.woiwode@sierraclub.org

website:  http://michigan.sierraclub.org

"There is no precedent in any modern White House for what is going on in this one: a complete lack of a policy apparatus. What you've got is everything - and I mean everything - being run by the political arm. It's the reign of the Mayberry Machiavellis."

John Dilulio, former head of President Bush's faith based initiative

This email was sent to: anne.woiwode@sierraclub.org