RE: E-M:/ RE: / Pollution drops as economy sputters

Bill –

If these are the TRI data (which is not clear from a quick scan of the article) that would cover only the recorded pollutants from stationary sources in the area, not mobile sources (autos, trucks, buses) nor drift from other areas.

Also, there are TWO ways to reduce pollutants – if you reduce the source activities by shutting down factories, etc., yes, that would result in a drop.  The other way is that as you maintain or increase your work and production, you put proper controls in place and clean up dirty facilities that pollute today.

The overly simplistic view of this is a problem, and I think in the article Tom Leonard of WMEAC does a pretty good job of trying to debunk it.

Anne

Anne Woiwode, Director

Sierra Club Mackinac Chapter

109 East Grand River Avenue,  Lansing, MI  48906

ph: 517-484-2372 fx: 517-484-3108 e: anne.woiwode@sierraclub.org

website:  http://michigan.sierraclub.org