Re: E-M:/ More on lead in consumer products: Lead in kid's jewelry

Enviro-Mich message from "Tom Stephens" <tstephens@sugarlaw.org>

Note the quotes in an article in the Free Press about the study forwarded by
Tracey, which indicate how low we have sunk as a society in how we deal with
safety and health issues:

"We hate to suggest a ban, but a lot of this jewelry is bad," said Rick
Maas, a UNC-Asheville environmental sciences professor who co-authored the
study.  [Can't you almost hear the whine in his voice?]

"Too much of anything could hurt you; it's possible you could eat too much
broccoli and die from that," said Laurie Hudson, chief executive officer of
Jewelry.com, a retail Web site. "I would have a hard time believing that too
much lead content in a pair of earrings or costume bracelet would destroy a
life."

The Free Press states that "Excessive amounts of lead in the bloodstream can
cause brain and nerve damage, particularly in small children." Actually the
truth is that modern science believes almost ANY lead poisoning is or at
least can be harmful, but it's expensive and otherwise difficult to quantify
low-level contamination damage...

http://www.freep.com/news/latestnews/pm1754_20041211.htm

Tom Stephens
Guild/Sugar Law Center