To: List Subscriber <AJS@sagady.com>
Subject: [r5news] EPA names Michigan counties that do not meet new, health-based soot standard
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:15:52 -0500

U.S. EPA REGION 5 NEWS RELEASE ------------------------------

CONTACT:William Omohundro, (312) 353-8254

For Immediate Release
No. 04-OPA226

EPA names Michigan counties that do not meet new, health-based soot standard

CHICAGO (Dec. 17, 2004) -- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency said today that seven Michigan counties do not meet the new, health-based outdoor air quality standard for fine particles (soot).

The counties are: Livingston, Macomb, Monroe, Oakland, St. Clair, Washtenaw and Wayne.

"I think of our clean air history as a relay where a baton is passed from generation to generation and from Administration to Administration. This Administration has made a commitment to accelerate our clean air progress so that all Americans can live healthier, longer, more productive and prosperous lives," said EPA Administrator Mike Leavitt in a letter to Gov. Jennifer Granholm.

"We take the first of those important steps today, identifying the areas in your state that do not meet the fine particle standards. Those parts of your state will require more actions to achieve a common goal of cleaner, healthier air," Leavitt said.

The counties failing to meet the new standard, called nonattainment areas, have or contribute to fine particle levels higher than allowed under EPA's national air quality standard. The standard is designed to protect the public from exposure to these tiny particles that are 2.5 microns or smaller, or about 1/30th the size of a human hair.

Today's designations start a planning process for states to identify measures needed to meet the health standard. EPA will be working with the states and others to achieve this clean-air goal.

Fine particles have been associated with a range of serious adverse health effects, including aggravation of lung disease, asthma attacks and heart problems. EPA believes that airborne fine particles cause tens of thousands of premature deaths across the United States each year. In addition, exposure to fine particles results in tens of thousands of hospitalizations as well as millions of sick days and doctor visits.

More information is at www.epa.gov/pmdesignations.

# # #

========================================== Alex J. Sagady & Associates http://www.sagady.com

PO Box 39,  East Lansing, MI  48826-0039
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com