E-M:/ Male Fish with Eggs Found in Potomac

Enviro-Mich message from "Rita Jack" <rita.jack@sierraclub.org>

Michigan:

As you read the article below, remember that here at home in the Great
Lakes, as we grapple with high levels of DIOXIN in Mid-Michigan, a known
carcinogen and hormone disrupter, and as we grapple with water
contamination from feedlots (concentrated animal feeding operations) all
over the state, that we risk similar abnormalities not only in fish,
frogs, and other aquatic organisms, (see the article and link below this
post) but also measurable and devastating affects to humans.

~~Rita
*****************************

Male Fish Growing Eggs Found in Potomac
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/intersex_fish

Male Fish Growing Eggs Found in Potomac

Tue Dec 21, 8:40 AM ET

Science - AP

SHARPSBURG, Md. - Male fish that are growing eggs have been found in the
Potomac River near Sharpsburg, a sign that a little-understood type of
pollution is spreading downstream from West Virginia, a federal
scientist says.

The so-called intersex abnormality may be caused by pollutants from
sewage plants, feedlots and factories that can interfere with animals'
hormone systems, The Washington Post reported Sunday.

Nine male smallmouth bass taken from the Potomac near Sharpsburg, about
60 miles upstream from Washington, were found to have developed eggs
inside their sex organs, said Vicki S. Blazer, a scientist overseeing
the research for the U.S. Geological Survey (news - web sites).
Authorities say the problems are likely related to a class of pollutants
called endocrine disruptors, which short-circuit animals' natural
systems of hormone chemical messages.
Officials are awaiting the results of water-quality testing that might
point to a specific chemical behind the fish problems, Blazer said.
"It certainly indicates something's going on," Blazer said of the new
findings in Maryland. "But what, we don't know."
The Potomac River is the main source of drinking water for the
Washington metropolitan area and many upstream communities. It provides
about 75 percent of the water supply to the 3.6 million residents of
Washington and its Maryland and Virginia suburbs.

(SNIPPED REST -- see url above.)

Copyright C 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The
information contained in the AP News report may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written
authority of The Associated Press.
Copyright C 2004 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
Questions or Comments
Privacy Policy -Terms of Service - Copyright Policy - Ad Feedback