Re: E-M:/ Plan would let sewage flow into Michigan lakes

> Enviro-Mich message from fred cowles <fecowles@yahoo.com>
>
> This Detroit News article is all too typical of the
> failings of journalism today.  It is apparent that the
> authors didn't bother to read the proposed policy. It
> isn't all that hard to do: www.epa.gov/npdes/blending.
> This policy quite understandably might be opposed by
> some who fully understand it, but this article does
> not present one valid opposing view.  The policy will
> NOT allow discharges of raw sewage. And any bad
> consequences of raw sewage discharges cannot
> rightfully be attributed to the blending of sewage
> within a wastewater treatment facility.
...snip...

The policy will allow the discharge of filtered and diluted raw sewage
(with no secondary treatment). The question come down to comparing the
discharge of sewage that has been filtered and given secondary
(biological) treatment and disinfection, and a mixture of that and sewage
that has only been filtered, and asking whether this is "acceptable" in
terms of public health and environmental concerns. In particular, the BOD
and COD of the blended discharge will be higher than fully treated sewage,
while the blended sewage may or may not (as far as I can tell) be
disinfected, as is the fully treated discharge.

Reading www.epa.gov/npdes/blending does not answer these questions as it
does not give specific informatiion on BOD, COD and bacterial standards
for fully treated vs blended discharges.

It would be appreciated if someone here could address these issues more
explicitly.

--Rane L Curl