From: owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
[mailto:owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net] On Behalf Of fred cowles
Sent: Friday, December 31, 2004 3:14 PM
To: HAMILTREEF@aol.com; enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
Subject: Re: E-M:/ Plan would let sewage flow into Michigan lakes
Enviro-Mich message from fred cowles <fecowles@yahoo.com>
This Detroit News article is all too typical of the failings of journalism
today.  It is apparent that the authors didn't bother to read the proposed
policy. It isn't all that hard to do: www.epa.gov/npdes/blending.
This policy quite understandably might be opposed by some who fully
understand it, but this article does not present one valid opposing view.
The policy will NOT allow discharges of raw sewage. And any bad consequences
of raw sewage discharges cannot rightfully be attributed to the blending of
sewage within a wastewater treatment facility.
This policy would clarify the meaning of federal rules promulgated in the
70s.  If the more stringent of the prevailing interpretations did not have
such high costs associated with it, there would not be an issue and blending
would not be allowed. The problem comes when cities have to ask rate-payers
to foot the bill for facility improvements that will not significantly
improve environmental protection.  Rate-payers, like you and me, want our
government to use our tax dollars wisely. Thus the issue arose about
blending. The use of blending, which arguably is consistent with current
federal laws, can reduce the cost of facility upgrades significantly. We
should not vilify our civil servants for trying to spend our money wisely.
The proposed EPA policy on blending does not weaken environmental
protections.

(http://www.detnews.com/2004/metro/0412/30/A01-46301.htm)