From: Joan Rose [mailto:rosejo@msu.edu]
Sent: Monday, January 03, 2005 1:25 PM
To: Rita Jack
Subject: Re: E-M:/ Plan would let sewage flow into Michigan lakes

Dear Rita

I have been getting the notices.  I am not sure if I am signed up
officially
or people just keep forwarding them to me.

There is alot of misunderstanding about sewage and sewage treatment.   I

have been studying pathogens in sewage for over 20 years, collecting
samples
and analyzing those for bacteria, viruses and parasites.   First most
sewage
plants do not "filter" as part of the treatment, so I am not sure where
this
information about "filtered" comes from.  I would think that Mr. Rane
Curt
should look at what he means by "filtered"  as that is not the correct
term.

Sewage is "settled" (big stuff falls out by gravity called primary
treatment
which does not take out the pathogens) and then in most cases undergoes
secondary treatment (activated sludge to remove BOD and more solids not
pathogens), then disinfection.  Disinfection is generally combined
chlorine
and often does not kill any of the viruses and certainly does not kill
the
parasites.

Blending does not "filter the wastewater".  Basically it adds high
concentrations of solids and pathogens from untreated flows or partially

treated flows to  treated wastewater and then disposes of it and the
data I
have seen suggests that this intereferes with the limited disinfection
that
wastewater gets in the first place.   BOD, COD and bacterial standards
do
not predict the pathogen loading from viruses and parasites.

This is a public health issue and the "Clean Water Act" was written to
protect public health (that is to prevent discharge of substances that
can
cause harm to human health).   Communities have a right to ask that the
wastewater be monitored for pathogens of concern and that changes in
policy
are not legally increasing the discharge of pathogens to our waterways.
The
discharge should be examined in terms of loading, if 1L of partially
treated
sewage is discharged per day with 1000 Giardia cysts in it, it  is still

1000 Giardia cysts that are discharged in that day whether it is first
diluted or not.

Joan

Joan B. Rose
Homer Nowlin Chair in Water Research