E-M:/ Another state urges ban on group of fire-retardants

Title: Another state urges ban on group of fire-retardants
As Governor Granholm signs legislation to ban two of the worst toxic flame retardants in Michigan, Washington State's advisory committee recommends action on a third highly toxic flame retardant.  Amidst growing evidence that this flame retardant is toxic, and also degrades into more toxic forms, Michigan should follow suit to protect our health and the health of the Great Lakes.

State urges ban on group of fire-retardants
Full story: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002142484_pbde06m.html

By Warren Cornwall
Seattle Times staff reporter

A family of fire-retardant chemicals should be banned amid growing concerns that it is toxic, particularly to fetuses and infants, according to Washington state officials.

The recommendation by the state Department of Ecology (DOE) would put Washington among a growing number of states seeking to ban polybrominated diphenyl ethers, or PBDEs. That includes a version of the chemical frequently used in electronics, textiles and airplanes, known as deca-BDE.

Environmentalists welcomed news of the proposed ban but said they would press the Legislature to move more quickly to outlaw deca-BDE. The new recommendations call for a 12-month study of how to ban that version of the chemical and whether to allow its continued use if there is no good replacement.

"We're every excited about the plan. I think the plan pretty clearly shows that deca is on the way out," said Mo McBroom, staff attorney for the environmental group WashPIRG.

A business-community representative also welcomed the recommended ban, but said the additional study was needed.

-snip-