To: "enviro-mich" <enviro-mich@great-lakes.net>
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 11:58 AM
Subject: Re: FW: E-M:/ Plan would let sewage flow into Michigan lakes

-----Original Message----- From: Joan Rose [mailto:rosejo@msu.edu] Sent: Monday, January 03, 2005 1:25 PM To: Rita Jack Subject: Re: E-M:/ Plan would let sewage flow into Michigan lakes

..snip...
and analyzing those for bacteria, viruses and parasites.   First most
sewage
plants do not "filter" as part of the treatment, so I am not sure where
this
information about "filtered" comes from.  I would think that Mr. Rane
Curt
should look at what he means by "filtered"  as that is not the correct
term.

Just for the record...I do not argue with Joan Rose on the technical terminology, but I used a term appropiate in my field, chemical engineering, for what I understood was the process, which included running the raw sewage through grates that "filter" out larger trash. This is shown in http://www.halifax.ca/harboursol/images/ProcessDia4big.gif and called "screening". Undoubtedly I should have written "filtering and settling".

I appreciate the more detailed response from an expert in the field.

--Rane L Curl