Re: E-M:/ Ann Arbor's stalled Greenbelt

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Enviro-Mich message from Christopher Graham ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi, Fred --

Forgive me, but I don't think I would read the Michigan Daily article below in the way you do.

In the last month I have seen and read an extensive proposal from a consultant responding the Commission's Request For Proposal for someone to actually do the work of the Commission (paid staff).

The person/company applying is someone I have known for three decades, who is outstandingly qualified to help with this work, who will do it superbly -- there is not any person in the United States more capable, nor more of a delight to work with.  We will be very fortunate to have her help.

The long process of designing how this Commission will operate is nearing completion -- and it has, indeed, been done well, so far.

I join others in appreciating Doug Cowherd and Bill Hanson for a number of things -- one weakness they seem to have is not such strong respect for a due and wide open process.  If due process and open public participation and discussion are not considered of paramount importance (in sound governing they must be, and in the instance of the deliberations of this Commission, they have been), then one could certainly go much faster.  In going faster, however, one does not always end up in the best place, of course, to put it gently.  The wheels of governing just plain go slowly when done properly.

The work of this Commission will take many years to unfold.  Getting things set up properly in the first place, how ever long that takes (and it won't be more than a few months more), has been and is worth every minute -- it will mean things run smoothly, for a long time, when at last they are up and going.

Lastly, I do not share the same degree of urgency as many others on this matter.

We have years and it will take years to work out a set of purchases, easements, zoning and site plan restrictions, rights purchases and outright purchases -- all to fashion "a greenbelt" of which we can be pleased.

Some people's expectations (inherent in using the term "greenbelt") seem to suggest we should and can rush out there and stop development in the farmed lands surrounding Ann Arbor about right where it is.  We can not do that.  It would require a tax an order of magnitude larger, at least, to even contemplate it.

What we can do is a complicated, slow, long term undertaking.  The results should develop just as nicely as the park system within the City has developed, over the past 100+ years.

Chris.