Re: E-M:/ Ann Arbor's stalled Greenbelt

Enviro-Mich message from Smileysmlc@aol.com

I will only make a quick comment on this topic:

Although a contract has yet to be finalized, it has already been reported in
the newspapers that The Conservation Fund, Washtenaw Land Trust, and Southeast
Michigan Land Conservancy will likely play a role in helping the City of Ann
Arbor to implement the Greenbelt Program.  Progress is being made, but I can
understand those who are critical of the apparent delays.  Time is truly of the
essence.

If things proceed as planned, landowner applications will be sought in
February with an approximate one-month review period.  Hopefully, evaluating the
selection criteria, doing appraisals, and landowner negotiations won't result in
lengthy delays.

I have my own suggestions on ways to effectively implement the Greenbelt
Program, but I will keep them private for the moment.

Jack Smiley
President
Southeast Michigan Land Conservancy
www.landconservancy.com