E-M:/ Alex,

Enviro-Mich message from "Frank Ruswick" <ruswickf@michigan.gov>

Alex,

press release to address all the details in an agreement as complex as
this one.  You are right, however, to point out the importance of
addressing contaminated sediments in the Tittabawassee and Saginaw
Rivers.  You can be assured that this issue was very much on our minds
as the Framework Agreement was negotiated.  The nature and scope of
dredging that will be required in the Tittabawassee and Saginaw Rivers
will be addressed through the Remedial Investigation to be conducted by
Dow as described in the Framework Agreement.

We in the DEQ recognize the significance of dioxin/furan contamination
in the mid-Michigan area not only for the people and environment of the
specific area affected, but the state as a whole.   This is unarguably
one of the most important and toughest legacy issues Michigan faces.  I
have had the honor of participating for the DEQ in the negotiations
leading to the Framework Agreement and truly believe that we are heading
down the right path.  I can understand however, that those directly
affected desire more and quicker action.

The Framework between the Department of Environmental Quality and the
Dow Chemical Company announced yesterday is now available online at
www.michigan.gov/deqdioxin under quick links.  The title of the
document is "DEQ/Dow Framework."

Enviro-Mich message from "Alex J. Sagady & Associates"
<ajs@sagady.com>

I read this whole MDEQ news release and found nothing at all about
cleanup on the contaminated bottomlands of the
Tittabawassee River .....  only on bankside residential
and floodplain areas.    If this is all there is it doesn't sound
like Granholm/Cherry will be pressing the issues of ecological
risk from what is in the stream bottom sediments.

Of course, the tipoff is when MDEQ is quoting Dow vice presidents
about "responsible, science based, final resolution"  and "framework"
of the settlement in their news release.

Frank Ruswick
Special Assistant to the Director
MDEQ
ruswickf@michigan.gov