From: owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net [mailto:owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net] On Behalf Of ortpam@comcast.net
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 9:17 AM
To: Anne Woiwode; enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
Subject: Re: E-M:/ Hamtramck Incinerator

For all of those who have worked so hard, and for so long in this fight, justice has finally come.  Thank you for your commitment. You make the world a better place.

--
Pamela Ortner
"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do". Goethe

Dozens of people who have worked very, very hard on this fight for a very long time deserve an enormous amount of thanks for the fight, including Sierra Club volunteers Anna Holden, Ed McArdle and Lydia Fischer.  For many as well, the spirit of Mary Beth Doyle has continued on in this fight.

I want to also thank the folks at the DEQ for doing the right thing on the Hamtramck Incinerator permit application and as the press release makes clear, preparing to take this even farther by initiating efforts to shut down this badly polluting facility for once and for all.  This is an example of the best kind of environmental decision making, and deserves kudos from all!

Anne Woiwode

From MDEQ moments ago…………………….

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

January 24, 2005

Contact:  Robert McCann

              (517) 241-7397

DEQ Denies Permit Application for Hamtramck Incinerator

The Department of Environmental Quality has announced the denial of a permit application from Michigan Waste Services, a medical waste incinerator located in Hamtramck.  The application would have allowed the facility to convert its existing medical waste incinerator to a co-fired combustor incinerator at the location.

The DEQ noted in a denial letter to the company that their failure to demonstrate a commitment to comply with the conditions in the draft permit, as well as their continued failure to comply with a current permit and consent order for the existing incinerator, led to the decision to deny their application.  Specifically, the DEQ noted MWS failure to implement a mercury waste reduction plan, failure to perform required preventative maintenance activities, and failure to complete maintenance records.

"Michigan Waste Services history of operating far outside the boundaries of environmental regulations played a large role in the decision to deny this permit application," said G. Vinson Hellwig, Chief of the DEQ's Air Quality Division and decision maker on the permit application.  "Their continued violations are unacceptable to the community, and are unfair to the many businesses in Michigan that take pride in their environmental efforts."

In addition to the denial of MWS new permit application, the DEQ announced that it has begun the process to revoke the company's current operating permit for the existing medical waste incinerator. This process will require additional hearings, including a public hearing and comment period which will be detailed in the coming weeks. In the interim, while the revocation process takes place, the company has a right to continue operations at the facility pending the outcome of the legal process.

#####

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thomas K. Rohrer, Director

Environmental Studies Program

318 Brooks Hall

Central Michigan University

Mt. Pleasant  MI  48859

U. S. A.

Ph. (989) 774-4409

email = tom.rohrer@cmich.edu

CMU Environmental Studies Program information is available at:

http://www.cst.cmich.edu/units/env/

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world: indeed it is the only thing that ever has!

                     -- Margaret Meade