E-M:/ Hold officials accountable or prepare for the worst

Enviro-Mich message from Doug Cowherd <dcow2@yahoo.com>

That's terrific news on the Hamtramack incinerator.
It's the beginning of the end for for this serious
threat to public health in the Detroit region.  The
DEQ's responsible stance reminds me yet again of the
benefits of not having John Engler - or his kindred
spirits - in the Governor's office.

However, as positive as the Hamtramack story is, the
news about the Dow dioxin contamination is many times
worse.  What they've done to the environment and the
residents of the Tri-Cities area is a tragedy.  I'm no
expert.  But I wonder if those who are could tell me
if this is one of the worst pollution cases in the
country?

Engler is gone, but it looks business interests still
have the clout to get what they want, even if it
flagrantly violates the public interest.  While the
Granholm administration has certainly done many
positive things about the environment - for example,
in Hamtramack - it is sad to see them fail to simply
uphold environmental regulations.

Environmentalists may be thrilled at the many
improvements the change in the Governor's office has
brought.  But we should hold Governor Granholm
accountable when she abandons the public interest in
favor of powerful business interests.  Lowering our
own standards is the surest way to encourage the
Governor, and other public officials, to lower theirs.
 I hope we won't fall into this trap just because
Granholm is not Engler.

Doug Cowherd
Co-chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group
www.michigan.sierraclub.org/huron