E-M:/ Food Systems Conference

Enviro-Mich message from skyprice@iserv.net

Here's a (rather late) posting about a conference Feb. 12 that features
Wayne Roberts of the Toronto Food Policy Council, one of the best speakers
and thinkers about sustainability issues that I know of. In this case, if
you want to register over e-mail, just hit reply to this message and fill
out the form at the bottom.

Also, if you'd like a PDF of the better-looking flyer and registration for
distribution, please let me know. AND PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG TO ANYONE YOU
THINK WOULD BE INTERESTED!

Thank you,
Cynthia Price, Conference Organizer
Greater Grand Rapids Food Systems Council
231-739-6397

D O N ' T   M I S S   I T !   R E G I S T E R   N O W !

GREATER GRAND RAPIDS FOOD SYSTEMS COUNCIL
ANNUAL CONFERENCE
ROOTED IN COMMUNITY III
FOOD SECURITY AND CULTURE:
THE URBAN AGRICULTURE ANDSLOW FOOD MOVEMENTS
Featuring keynote speaker
WAYNE ROBERTS
of the Toronto Food Policy Council
and co-author of ?Real Food for a Change?
and special presentations by
CHARLIE BAKER-CLARK ON SLOW FOOD
THE UNITED WAY EMERGENCY NEEDS TASK FORCE
THE GGRFSC COMMUNITY GARDENS COMMITTEE

FEBRUARY 12,2005 8:30am-4pm
EASTERN AVENUE CHRISTIAN REFORMED CHURCH
LOGAN AT EASTERN, GRAND RAPIDS
$25 ($15 STUDENTS AND SENIORS) ($5 discount for GGRFSC members)
INCLUDES SUMPTUOUS LOCAL FOODS LUNCHEON AND BREAKS,CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST
PREPARED BY CHEF AMY SHERMAN, WITH "CHEF O" OLIVER HALE AND CHARLIE BAKER
CLARK OF GVSU ASSISTING

NETWORKING / DISPLAYS / OPPORTUNITY TO PURCHASE FROM LOCAL FARMERS

For more information:skyprice@iserv.net, Cynthia Price at 231/739-6397 or
Tom Cary 616/451-3051

SPONSORS:
East Light Publishing & The Norton Lakeshore Examiner / Harvest Health Foods)
Growco,Garden Supply / G.B.Russo & Son,International Grocery
Kristine Fedewa,The Learning Connection

Visit our web site www.foodshed.net

GGRFSC is a project of West Michigan Environmental Action Council

If you would like to have a related display, please check on registration
form below. SPACE IS LIMITED and almost full already, so please let me
know right away.

Schedule

8:30-9:00    Continental Breakfast & Registration
9:00-9:10    Welcome & Introductions and Information about the Greater
Grand Rapids Food Systems Council
9:10-10:10    Wayne Roberts - Director, Toronto Food Policy Council: Urban
Agriculture, Food Self-Reliance and Community Sustainability
10:10-10:30    United Way Emergency Needs Task Force Food Subcommittee
Presentation on its New Strategic Plan
10:30-10:45    BREAK
10:45-11:10    Greater Grand Rapids Food Systems Council Community Gardens
Committee Presentation
11:10-12:15    Morning Breakout Sessions A
12:15-1:30    Lunch of local food, Exhibit Viewing; Greater Grand Rapids
Food Systems Council Annual business meeting - members only (1:15-1:30)
1:30-2:35    Afternoon Breakout Sessions B
2:35-2:50    BREAK
2:50-3:40    Charlie Baker-Clark, Chair Hospitality Dept., Grand Valley
State University: Slow Food
3:40-3:50    Wrap Up

BREAKOUT SESSIONS "A"
A1 - Assessing Food Security and Access - Kami Pathukuchi, Wayne State
University, Lead Author Community Food and Health Assessments and
nationally known authority on community-based food planning.
A2 - Supporting and Networking Community Gardens - Ashley Atkinson,
Detroit Greening and Detroit Agriculture Network
A3 - Emergency Needs Task Force Subcommittee Panel will present on
different aspects of their plan to make Kent County a Hunger Free Zone,
including strategies such as community gardens
A4 - Chefs, Cooks, annd Slow Food (panel) - Chef Chris Perkey of the
Firehouse Grille and the Council of Independent Restaurateurs Association,
and others.

BREAKOUT SESSIONS "B"
B1 and B2 - Repeats of A1 and A2.
B3 - Improving Emergency Food Services - Shawn Fleet, Spectrum Health's
Nutritional Options for Wellness; Marsha DeHollander, ACCESS Food Pantry
Support - including healthier food choices, grocery stores and delivery in
the urban area, gleaning, church and community gardens and bringing local
farmers into urban communities.
B4 - Community Gardens and Urban Agriculture in New Zoning Initiatives -
Andy Bowman, Senior Planner, Grand Valley Metropolitan Council; Suzanne
Schulz of City of Grand Rapids; Jeff Smith of GRIID and practitioner of
urban agriculture.
B5 - Slow Food Convivium Organizational Meeting
B6 - Farmer's Role in Slow Food - local farmers including Andrea Creswick
of Creswick Farms, Meermans/Steve-n-Sons Cheeses, and others will discuss
their view of the movement and the role they play.
INTERESTED IN A DISPLAY OR EXHIBIT - Check Registration form Below.

REGISTRATION FORM - Rooted in Community III
PLEASE PRE-REGISTER BY FEBRUARY 8, 2005
Please print this off and mail to: GGRFSC, c/o 221 Carlton SE, Grand
Rapids, MI 49506
Make check payable to GGRFSC

OR

Fill out the form and send it to skyprice@iserv.net (or just hit reply if
you got this e-mail directly from that address) -- you may pay at the
door.

** Look for Registration Confirmation with directions by email **

Name________________________________________________________
Affiliation_____________________________________
Address________________________City, State, Zip_________________
Phone (area code)______________ E-mail________________

Conference cost through February 8, 2005: ___$25 Regular ___$20 GGRFSC
Member ___$15 Student/Fixed Income ___$35 GGRFSC Membership/Conf. Reg.
All costs increase $5 after February 8.

Desired Breakouts:
Morning - A session ___ A1 ___ A2 ___ A3 ___ A4
Afternoon - B session ___ B1 ___ B2 ___ B3 ___ B4 ___ B5 ___ B6
[ ] I would be interested in leading an informal discussion on the topic
of _______________________________ (tentative).
____I would like to have a display
____I would like to bring literature about my organization
____I would like more information on the Food Systems Council

[ ] Please do NOT include me on a networking list of conference attendees.

About the Greater Grand Rapids Food Systems Council
The Greater Grand Rapids Food Systems Council (GGRFSC) is an expanding
collaborative of people who want to make the food system more just and
sustainable, and to work on programs and projects to that end. Members
include agricultural producers; environmentalists; professors and
researchers; planners; agency and nonprofit personnel concerned with
health, agriculture and feeding the hungry; local government officials;
chefs; retailers; and concerned individuals. Originated in October 2001,
the GGRFSC is continuing to increase its programs and projects, and is
working with statewide
initiatives that seek the same ends.

Greater Grand Rapids Food Systems Council
c/o West Michigan Environmental Action Council
1514 Wealthy Street SE - Suite 280
Grand Rapids, MI 49506
(616) 451-3051 -3054 (fax) or info@foodshed.net