E-M:/ Fwd: MARCH 4TH : SEMINARS ON SUSTAINABILITY

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Jason Bing" <jason@recycleannarbor.org>
Date: January 28, 2005 12:06:36 PM EST
To: <gvendena@igc.org>
Subject: MARCH 4TH : SEMINARS ON SUSTAINABILITY

Hi Greg,

I have attached an event flier that outlines the date (March 4, 2005), time (9AM-4PM), place (Marshall Hall, Eastern Michigan University), and wonderful list of presenters for the ongoing speaker series, "Regional SOS: Seminars on Sustainability."

The morning session at Marshall Hall will start off with Dave Konkle (Energy Office, city of Ann Arbor) and his presentation on "The Future of Energy." Our talented morning lineup will include speakers from the University of Michigan and Lawrence Tech University, focussing our discussion on Energy Efficient Design and Education. The afternoon session will begin with Elise Zelechowski (Chicago Center for Green Technology, city of Chicago) and her presentation on the Green Tech U (sustainable ed. programming) and the impact that municipal leaders are making in the city of Chicago. The afternoon will feature green building case studies: new construction (Zeeland High School, Holland, MI) and historic preservation (the Dana Center, U of M). We will wrap up with a fantastic presentation from Melissa Vernon (Interface) on what YOU can do for sustainability.

This event is FREE, but we need everyone to register. This can be done with the attached flier (faxed) or via email:jason@environmentalhouse.org.

We need as much exposure as possible - this is a collaborative effort and (in order to make this event free) we are relying on everyone's help - soplease pass this on! If you have an events calender online, please list the date!

If you have any questions (or would like to donate time or food/drink to the cause), please contact:

JASON J. BING
Program Coordinator, LEED AP
Environmental House I Washtenaw Green Building Coalition

Recycle Ann Arbor
2420 S. Industrial Hwy
Ann Arbor, MI 48104

t. 734.662.6288
f. 734.662.7749

www.recycleannarbor.org

WE'RE LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING YOU THERE!

KEYNOTE SPEEKER: Dave Konkle, Director, Ann Arbor Energy Office

LOCATION: Eastern Michigan University Marshall Hall Auditorium Ypsilanti, Michigan Friday March 4, 2005

TIME: 9 AM to 4 PM

co-sponsors:
Michigan Department of Labor & Economic Growth Energy Office University of Detroit Mercy - School of Architecture Environmental House Green Building Resource Center Ann Arbor Oakland Community College Energy Management Program US Green Building Council - Detroit Regional Chapter Michigan Interfaith Power & Light Partners Program Oakland University Washtenaw Green Building Coalition o2 Michigan

PROGRAM PRESENTERS:
Energy and Our Communities Dave Konkle, Director, Ann Arbor Energy Office City of Ann Arbor, Ann Arbor, MI

MiSo* Solar Decathlon Entry John Beeson, Project Manager, College of Architecture/ Urban Planning, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI

LTU Zero Energy Design Competition Christina Snyder, Architect, Lawrence Tech University Bob Fletcher, Professor, Lawrence Tech University

Daylighting Dr. Moji Navvab, Assoc. Professor, College of Architecture/Urban Planning, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI

The Green Tech U Elise Zelechowski, Project Coordinator, Chicago Center for Green Technology, City of Chicago, Chicago, IL

Zeeland High School Case Study Stephen Hamstra, Executive VP GMB Architects/Engineers, Holland, MI

Historic Preservation & Sustainability Ted Ligibel, Dept. Historic Preservation Eastern Michigan University, Ypsilanti, MI

Dana Building Case History M Quinn/M McGinnis, Architect(s) Quinn Evans I Architects, Ann Arbor, MI

Melissa Vernon, Manager of Sustainable Strategy, LEED Accredited Professional, Interface Flooring Systems, GA

VISION STATEMENT:
Sustainable Issues For Designers, Builders, Architects, Educators, Administrators, Students, and Community Provide regional educational leadership initiative, as Universities, Colleges, and Educational Institutions, to disseminate knowledge, research findings, and latest developments in sustainable design for environmental designers, builders, developers and students and broader community. Organize the seminar series utilizing academics and professionals with cutting-edge concepts and technology application. Professional organizations and manufacturers with innovative product development should be encouraged to participate. Exemplar case studies, products and concepts should be presented. Advance these concepts of sustainability: Socially Sustainable Enhance the overall sense of community and our interdependent relationships with all species. Move from destructive behaviors to harmonious existence with the entire earth planet. Demonstrate advanced living and learning techniques for a sustainable planet. Environmentally Sustainable Reduce, reuse, recycle, re-think. Initiate restorative practices in connection with the natural environment. Reduce dependence on fossil fuels and non-renewable energy sources. Economically Sustainable Reuse existing buildings. Share in community education, ownership and operations. Commit to education as a transformative process. Provide long term commitment.