E-M:/ State of the Union: Reaction from Carl Pope, Sierra Club Executive Director

Enviro-Mich message from "Rita Jack" <rita.jack@sierraclub.org>

Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2005 1:16 PM
Subject: State of the Union: Reaction from Carl Pope, Executive Director

**********

For Immediate Release
February 3, 2005

Contact:	David Willett, 202-675-6698

                  Reaction to State of the Union Address
          Statement of Carl Pope, Sierra Club Executive Director

"While President Bush's State of the Union address indicated that he
understands Americans want cleaner energy, his speech misrepresented the
true thrust of his polluting energy initiatives.  President Bush
highlighted small parts of his energy plan while glossing over the
unpopular centerpiece of his efforts -- drilling for oil in special
places
like the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. And his ludicrous assertion
that
nuclear power is "safe and clean" completely ignored the fact that there
is
still no way to safely transport and store nuclear waste.

"President Bush also failed to mention that strong enforcement of the
existing Clean Air Act would do more to cut power plant pollution than
his
proposed legislation, which favors big energy companies. Similarly,
while
America does need energy policy that provides security while decreasing
our
oil dependence, the energy plan that Vice President Cheney developed
behind
closed doors with the energy industry will not get us there.

"We can free ourselves from dangerous nuclear power and the polluting
industries of the past.  We need to invest in modern, 21st century
solutions that will produce real increases in efficiency, fuel economy
and
reliance on renewable energy sources like wind and solar power. By
investing in modern technology, America could cut its dependence on
dirty
fossil fuels while saving consumers money, preserving treasured places,
and
keeping our soldiers safe at home. We don't need to sacrifice Americans'
lives, health or lands to meet our nation's energy needs."

                                    ###

      More information about cleaner energy solutions can be found at
                 http://www.sierraclub.org/globalwarming/

David Willett
Deputy Press Secretary
Sierra Club