E-M:/ PIRGIM statement on State of the Union

Enviro-Mich message from Jason Barbose <jason@pirgim.org>

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Wednesday, February 2, 2005

CONTACT:
Jason Barbose
(734) 662-6597

STATEMENT OF PIRGIM ON STATE OF THE UNION

"Tonight, President Bush gave a speech only a polluter could love.

"He asked Congress to pass a bill that would dismantle public health
protections in the Clean Air Act.  He called for a polluting,
budget-busting energy bill that would weaken clean air and water
standards, allow drilling in pristine public lands like the Arctic
National Wildlife Refuge and give away $35 billion in subsidies to
polluters like the nuclear, coal, oil, and gas industries.  And he asked
Congress to lock the courthouse doors on citizens harmed at the hands of
reckless corporations who pollute our environment, sell dangerous
products, and rip off consumers.

"We urge Congress to oppose President Bush's efforts to weaken our
environmental and consumer protections."