E-M:/ Reminder: Road Block presentation in Detroit and Ann Arbor Saturday

Enviro-Mich message from Frank Ambrose <snakeman1549@yahoo.com>

I would encourage all who are concerned about the DIFT
project, new highways, and linking NAFTA's issues of
job loss, over production and consumption  to
protecting the environment to come out and see this
tour. It should be inspriring and informative.
------------------

Road Block Tour Hits Detroit

Saturday, February 19, 2pm
3535 Cass Ave, Detroit (1st block north of Cass and
MLK)
Free

"As they create global connections between their zones
of production and consumption, we must create
connections between the local and global struggles
against neoliberalism, ecocide, and corporate
globalization.

R O A D B L O C K
Winter 2005 Tour

The emergence of multinational bodies (e.g. the World
Trade Organization) and the creation of massive free
trade zones (e.g. ASEAN, EU, or NAFTA), which have
heralded the emergence of a new era of unfettered
corporate domination of the earth, are not the only or
even the most important aspects of globalization.
Instead, we must also begin to examine and resist the
gigantic infrastructure projects that are necessitated
by the exponential expansion of trade across borders.

The purpose of the Roadblock tour is precisely this-
to hopefully begin a discussion about roads,
particularly new, international superhighway projects,
and the role that they play in corporate
globalization. We will examine, in particular, the
Plan Puebla Panama that is being planned to open up
Central America to new depths of exploitation, and
I-69, the NAFTA superhighway that is intended to run
through the Midwestern U.S. as a vital foundation for
the Free Trade Area of the Americas and as a
connection to the highways of the Plan Puebla Panama.

More importantly, we will explore the history of
resistance to road projects and the potentials that
exist today to undermine these socially and
environmentally devastating superhighways and with
them, corporate globalization.

In Detroit, the forces of free trade are pushing the
gigantic intermodal freight terminal on the Southwest
side of the city. This giant train and truck yard will
bring thousands of trucks through residential
neighborhoods and facilitate the importation of cheap
products and the exportation of jobs and locally based
economies.

We will be travelling throughout the northern U.S.
Please check out the tour website,
www.geocities.com/theroadblocktour, to get updated
information about our dates. We will also be carrying
an extensive pamphlet and zine distro to offset gas
costs.

See also:
http://www.geocities.com/theroadblocktour

The RoadBlock Tour will also be in Ann Arbor that
evening at 7pm. The show in AA will be at ICC
Education center (behind 1510 Hill)

Idle Kids is a collectively run organizing space,
bookstore, and cultural center located in the heart of
Detroit.