E-M:/ battle to protect the Mason Tract

Man files appeal over Mason Tract decision

Group believes Forest Service 'skewed' facts

By SHERI MCWHIRTER
Record-Eagle staff writer

      GRAYLING - Scott Lowe doesn't mind if someone wants to drill for oil and gas, just as long as it's not next to the Mason Tract along the AuSable River in Crawford County.
      Lowe, a real estate broker and appraiser from Traverse City, filed an appeal with the U.S. Forest Service and objects to the agency's approval this month of a drilling plan.
      "I feel that a test well and compression station in close proximity to the Mason Tract would be offensive," Lowe said.
      For eight years he worked for the Forest Service and the Michigan Department of Natural Resources, with another three years spent with an oil and gas exploration company.
      "I've been on both sides of this. I'm not against oil and gas exploration and production. I just think you should be sensitive about where it's done," Lowe said.

http://www.record-eagle.com/2005/feb/19mason.htm

~Monica Evans
   Traverse Group of the Sierra Club

"I object to violence because