E-M:/ Fwd: Monsanto at it again! Bullies nation's 2nd largest dairy co-op on their attempted ban of rBST hormone

truefoodnow@registervisitors.com wrote:
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 11:17:54 -0800
From: truefoodnow@registervisitors.com
Subject: TRUE FOOD NETWORK ACTION ALERT!

STAND UP FOR TILLAMOOK AND BEAT BACK MONSANTO!

The Tillamook County Creamery Association announced Friday it has asked
all of its 147 member farmers to halt use of the recombinant bovine
somatotropin hormone, or rBST (also known as rBGH, recombinant bovine
growth hormone), despite increasing pressure from Monsanto to overturn
that decision.

"After a nearly two-year process of developing and implementing a policy
requiring our dairy suppliers to forgo the use of artificial bovine growth
hormone, Tillamook County Creamery Association is facing an aggressive
intrusion by Monsanto into the association's decision-making process," the
association said in a press release.

The genetically engineered rBST, or rBGH, hormone, sold under the brand
name Posilac, is marketed to dairy farmers as a way to boost milk
production in dairy cows. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved
the hormone in 1993, allowing one of the first major biotechnology-related
products to enter the nation's food supply. About 10 to 15 percent of
dairy farmers nationally use rBGH, according to recent estimates.

As quoted in an Associated Press article, Friday, February 18th, Christie
Lincoln, spokeswoman for Tillamook said the decision to ban the hormone
was driven by consumers.

"Consumers of Tillamook dairy products expect Tillamook to do the right
thing," she said. "They're asking us to remove the recombinant bovine
hormone from our product, and we're just responding to that."

In its press release, the creamery association said "Monsanto has been
especially vigorous in trying to dissuade" the dairy cooperative from
banning the hormone, and accused the company of trying "to drive a wedge"
between the association and its members.

"In November, Consuelo Madere, president of Monsanto Dairy Business, took
the extraordinary step of sending a letter directly to (Tillamook) members
questioning the policy and seeking its reversal," the association said.

"The letter's intrusion into the co-op's internal affairs pales in
comparison to Monsanto's unprecedented effort in the past two weeks to
divide Tillamook's dairy farmers over the issue," the association said.

The dairy cooperative said that Monsanto sent an attorney from the
Washington, D.C., law firm of King & Spalding to Oregon to meet with more
than a dozen co-op members. The attorney, James Dabney Miller, has
represented Monsanto on rBST issues, including its FDA approval, the
association said.

Miller helped some association members prepare an amendment to the co-op's
bylaws that would prevent the ban. The amendment also requested a special
meeting that is expected to be scheduled with the next two weeks, the
association said.

Tillamook is the nation's number 2 maker of chunk cheese.

TELL TILLAMOOK YOU SUPPORT THEIR DECISION TO ELIMINATE rBGH IN THEIR
PRODUCTS! DON'T LET MONSANTO BULLY ANOTHER DAIRY! PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO
CALL, WRITE, FAX OR EMAIL TILLAMOOK WITH YOUR SUPPORT. (SAMPLE LANGUAGE IS
BELOW)
EMAIL: info@tillamookcheese.com
Phone: 503-815-1300
Fax: 503-815-1305
Address: Tillamook County Creamery Association
4175 Hwy 101 N
Box 313
Tillamook, OR 97141

To who it may concern,

THANK YOU for going rBGH-free! We support your decision - PLEASE don't go
back to allowing this genetically engineered hormone to be used.

We very much oppose Monsanto's attempts to bully and manipulate the
internal affairs of Tillamook. We think their actions are highly
inappropriate and we're fully supportive of your efforts to protect your
consumers and your business by eliminating rBGH in your products.

This drug increases disease rates in cows and a significant body of
scientific data has linked it to possible increases in cancer and
antibiotic resistance in humans. It has been banned in most industrialized
nations of the world and we don't want to take any unnecessary risks with
our family's health.

We only want natural, wholesome ingredients in our dairy products, not
milk from cows injected with artificial growth hormones. We want to buy
Tillamook products, but won't as long as they have rBGH. Thank you again
for taking this step.

Sincerely,

NAME
ADDRESS