To: "Enviro-mich" <enviro-mich@great-lakes.net>
Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 6:40 PM
Subject: Re: E-M:/ Global warming to worsen air pollution here

Enviro-Mich message from Doug Cowherd <dcow2@yahoo.com>

Tracey,

Thanks for posting the fascinating piece on global
warming.  I can't count the number of times that
people have told me that climate change "doesn't
matter" in the chilly upper midwest because if the
weather got a little warmer it would be no big deal.
And of course, we'll never have a real drought because
we have the "limitless" Great Lakes to exploit.  These
twin myths could use puncturing.

Doug Cowherd
Co-chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group

--- Tracey Easthope <tracey@ecocenter.org> wrote:

"Global warming could stifle cleansing summer winds
across parts of
the northern United States over the next 50 years
and worsen air
pollution, U.S. researchers said on Saturday.
Further warming of
the atmosphere, as is happening now, would block
cold fronts bringing
cooler, cleaner air from Canada and allow stagnant
air and ozone
pollution to build up over cities in the Northeast
and Midwest, they
predicted. "