E-M:/ Wolf Lake Visitor Center Reopens March 1

Enviro-Mich message from "Richard Morscheck" <morscher@michigan.gov>

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, 23 FEB 05
Contact: Shana McMillan, 269-668-2876

Wolf Lake Visitor Center Reopens March 1

Michigan Department of Natural Resources officials today announced the
spring schedule for the Wolf Lake Fish Hatchery Visitor Center near
Kalamazoo. Beginning March 1, the visitor center's hours will be 10
a.m.
to 4 p.m., Tuesday through Saturday, and noon to 4 p.m. on Sunday. The
center will be closed on Mondays.

"We've already signed up a number of school groups who will visit the
hatchery during April and May, but we still have several openings left
to fill on our spring schedule," said Wolf Lake Interpreter Shana
McMillan. "Other groups and families should contact us ahead of time
get information about the availability of guided hatchery tours during
the week and especially on the weekends."

Activity at the hatchery really begins to increase with the arrival of
new walleye, muskellunge, steelhead trout and northern pike eggs
during
the first two weeks of April, McMillan said.

"Hatching time varies by species. For example, it takes only 10 days
for the northern pike, but up to 30 or 35 days for steelhead," she
said.

Northern pike then are reared at the hatchery for only another 10 days
before they will be stocked in various inland lakes and rearing ponds.
Steelhead will stay at the hatchery for a full year where they will
grow
to seven to eight inches in length. Last year's steelhead, now
yearlings, will be stocked this April in several rivers and streams
that
flow into the Great Lakes.

Wolf Lake will again offer its popular summer fishing program, when
children ages 5 to 16 can take part in catch-and-release fishing every
Saturday from June through August, and the center's annual Fish
Festival
is scheduled for July 16-17.

The Wolf Lake Fish Hatchery Visitor Center is located in Mattawan, at
Hatchery Road and M-43, six miles west of the junction of M-43 and
US-131. For information, contact Shana McMillan at (269) 668-2876.

###