E-M:/ Budget cut threatens dam safety

I received these email questions from a Lori.  Can anyone help me answer her questions?

Lori - Do we know what Gov. Granholms rationale is for pulling the financial support for maintenance, or if she is recommending  an alternative?  I know that there is considerable support for removing dams from our rivers since they create an artificial barrier for river life.  There may be more to it than just the budget cut.

Michigan's dam safety program, established after a 1986 flood burst several dams in West Michigan, would be eliminated under Gov. Jennifer Granholm's proposed 2006 budget.