E-M:/ Bill Moyers: Welcome to Doomsday

I am not here to push any particular political agenda--nor am I here to at all disparage any religion or belief--but this is an article which I do believe bears close consideration.  And if it stings some to read it, well, perhaps it should.

From the New York Review of Books, this:

Welcome to Doomsday

By Bill Moyers

1.

There are times when what we journalists see and intend to write about dispassionately sends a shiver down the spine, shaking us from our neutrality. This has been happening to me frequently of late as one story after another drives home the fact that the delusional is no longer marginal but has come in from the fringe to influence the seats of power. We are witnessing today a coupling of ideology and theology that threatens our ability to meet the growing ecological crisis. Theology asserts propositions that need not be proven true, while ideologues hold stoutly to a world view despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality. The combination can make it impossible for a democracy to fashion real-world solutions to otherwise intractable challenges.

You can read the entire article here:   http://www.nybooks.com/articles/17852

--Mike DePolo