E-M:/ Forum on right to know in Port Huron

Enviro-Mich message from Kay Cumbow <kcumbow@greatlakes.net>

Ennviromich Readers might like to attend this forum at the St. Clair Community College, March 16. It follows on the heels of another article from the Times Herald in Port Huron, "Federal Agency Wants to Strip Trains of Signs. Officials: Warning placards could tip off terrorists." That story ran on Monday, March 7, and did not appear to be available online. Below is the article on the forum in Port Huron.

"Forum focuses on right to know. Two experts will discuss access to government.
The event is 7pm, March 16th, 2005"

http://www.thetimesherald.com/news/stories/20050303/localnews/2044749.html

The two experts who will be addressing the public's right to know are Dawn Phillips Hertz of the Michigan Press Association and Thomas Quasarano of the State Attorney General's Office. The forum is Wednesday, March 16th, 2005 at 7pm at the St. Clair County Community College Fine Arts Theatre, at 323 Erie St., Port Huron. The event is free. No registration is necessary.

This is a crucial issue for the Great Lakes environmental community. Many individuals and environmental groups labored long to obtain right to know process and laws. These laws aid our community firefighters, police, EMTs, hospital personnel, tremendously. I would submit we are in more danger from the chemicals in our communities than we are from terrorists. I would hope these issues stir folks to be involved in these dialogues.

- Kay Cumbow, Chairperson, Citizens for Alternatives to Chemical Contamination