Re: E-M:/ Hartwick Pines threatened by deer

Enviro-Mich message from Barbara Jean Madsen <bjmadsen@umich.edu>

Eric,

Certainly, if all other things remain equal, an increase in the number of
wolves and/or cougars (if there actually are any reproducing cougars out
there) should reduce the size of the deer herd.  I don't know how many
predators are needed.

Probably just as great if not a greater factor in the overabundance of
deer is the kind of forest management practiced; we now have many more
times the acreage of early-successional forest that deer like than were
present at the time of settlement.  Some of this land is actively managed
to encourage the production of deer, because hunting is such a huge
business in Michigan.  At the same time, many hunters concentrate on
getting large bucks, instead of taking does.  This kind of hunting does
very little, if anything, to control the population, and is in fact the
opposite of the effect of natural predators.  People tend to go after the
biggest, healthiest individuals; natural predators take the weakest.

Regardless of the financial interests of the hunting community, when whole
tree species (as well as other plant species) are being consumed to
extinction over large areas, there are too many deer.  And if we are now
going to refer land-management decisions to drinkers in bars, we're in
real trouble.

--Barb Madsen