E-M:/ EPA's Dr. Linda Birnbaum coming to Saginaw

Lone Tree Council

P.O. 1251, Bay City, Michigan 48706

(Fighting for environmental justice since 1978)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                             CONTACT: Michelle Hurd Riddick 989-799-3313

March 21st  2005                                                          Terry Miller (989) 686-6386

Lone Tree Council host community event with leading expert on dioxin and human health

The first in a Community Speakers Series called “DIOXIN IN THE SAGINAW BAY WATERSHED”,

Lone Tree Council is honored to present EPA’s Linda Birnbaum, Ph.D. to discuss dioxin and human health.

Dr. Birnbaum is Division Director at the US Environmental Protection Agency -----Office of Research and Development. Serving as a lead scientist for the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) dioxin reassessment, Dr. Birnbaum will give an overview of dioxin and discuss how the toxic chemical interacts with human beings. Dr. Birnbaum is currently the president of the Society of Toxicology.

Studies in the Saginaw Bay Watershed have revealed dioxin is being found in humans, deer, fish, turkey, duck and chicken eggs. According to the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality, the dioxin levels in soils and river sediments are the highest in the state. “We truly are delighted to bring someone of Dr. Birnbaum’s caliber and expertise to this area of contamination”, said Michelle Hurd Riddick of Lone Tree Council.”

The presentation will take place:

Wednesday, April 13th 2005

6:30 PM

Swan Valley High School Auditorium - 84OO O’Hern - Saginaw MI

This event is free of charge to the public and everyone is invited to attend and participate. There is no invitation list and we think everyone who lives in this watershed is a stakeholder

We extend our gratitude to the Swan Valley HS for their kindness and accommodations

Fliers are available  to download and distribute at www.trwnews.net click on current news or you just contact me and  I will get an electronic copy to you.

Michelle

Michelle Hurd Riddick
Lone Tree Council