E-M:/ Environmental Bullying and Mobbing

EMers,

I have belonged to it since my work in the Ingham County Health Department (1998-2001) which suppressed my environmental work. Dave Dempsey, who served on the community oversight board successfully had the suppressed work published by PEER.
http://www.peer.org/watch/state_info.php?sid=mi

We both went on to write about environmental corruption as columnists for Lansing's City Pulse. I recall editor Berl Schwartz telling me not to ever expect anything to change from our investigative journalism, and sadly, I have found, is too often correct. Though I take credit for the fact that Lansing officials took down the Crego Park sign a few weeks after a column I wrote about this toxic park named after Lansing's former mayor.
http://www.lansingcitypulse.com/020410/health/

Anyway, in my research I have discovered that bullying and mobbing are occupational health hazards for environmentalists, especially state workers who do little more than performing their jobs well. PEER has published surveys across the country with state environmental workers which captures the depths of hostile work environments in environmental work. The last time they surveyed Michigan was in 1998. It was a magnificent look into Governor Engler's shop
http://www.peer.org/pubs/surveys/1998_mi_deq.pdf

I support regular surveys like this throughout government (indeed everywhere a citizen sells his or her labor power to a capitalist). It would be interesting to see how  MDEQ environmental workers feel about their jobs under the Granholm administration.

Which brings me to this fine piece I just discovered called,
The phenomenon of "workplace bullying" and the need for status-blind hostile work environment protection
Georgetown Law Journal,  Mar 2000  by Yamada, David C

I suggest everyone take a good look at that as well as all the emerging literature on hostile workplace environments. Unions especially should consider hiring the authors of the excellent book "Mobbing USA," for a presentation.
http://www.mobbing-usa.com/

I am a medical/environmental anthropologist and I share this knowledge with my students.

I'd be interested in any feedback on this topic either on the list or privately, as I am researching it.

Best,

Brian McKenna