Re: E-M:/ Net metering in Michigan ...

Enviro-Mich message from "David Wright" <wrightd@voyager.net>

Lowell,

     It is GREAT! that Michigan is on the way to having a net metering
rule in place.  With the devil being in the details, it is important
that individuals who want to see a successful progressive net metering
program provide comments as their utility submits their plans to
implement net metering to the MPSC by April 28th.

     As noted in John's post the Michigan Public Service Commission, to
their credit, made some pretty significant changes to the consensus
proposal.  Credits for renewable energy generation will be calculated at
retail rates instead of at what basically would have been a value 1/2 to
1/3 of retail.  And, the utilities will not automatically "own" any
renewable generation credits, which the original proposal gave to the
utility.

     With respect to program costs, the utilities will need to make some
changes to their administration as usually they come to arrest you when
your meter has spun backwards -- they would tend to assume that you are
using their electrons and not paying for them.  In addition, the utility
will want to ensure that your installation will not create a problem for
their employees or their distribution system due to your generator being
on-line.

     With the way the rule has been written you will pay an upfront fee
to cover administrative costs for interconnecting your generating system
with the utility.  Annual fees are not very good for the economics of
net metering.  It costs approximately $10 in capital to install one watt
of photovoltaic panels.  I use very little electricity, maybe a little
over $25 per month and to install a PV system to provide for my annual
generation today would cost me about $24,000.  So, if I had a 0 utility
bill, after this investment my annual savings would be at best $300/yr
(If you need to calculate payback you're not going to do this, so don't
calculate it).  If you now add an annual fee, the economics just get
worse.

    For now lets see how this rule works and if we can start getting
some more grid-intertied systems up and running in Michigan.  But,
before that happens, let's make sure we read the utilities plans and
make any necessary comments to keep the programs simple and effective.

David

--
CoreComm Webmail.
http://home.core.com