E-M:/ water exports

Enviro-Mich message from "Dave Dempsey" <davedem@hotmail.com>

One thing needs to be said in addition to George Week's accurate and fair column.

We have not yet heard back from the Governor on the request that she submit the new Nestle project to regional review under federal law. We have, however, heard from her on the need for strong state water conservation legislation. She has been calling emphatically for such laws for more than a year now. If Michigan does not begin to promote water conservation in law and practice, its chances of stopping Nestle, Waukesha Wisconsin, the Sunbelt and entrepreneurs who wish to invoke international trade agreements to export Great Lakes Basin water is nil.

We have also heard back from the State House and Senate leadership, which not only refuse to speak out against Nestle, but also refuse even to hold hearings on the water conservation legislation.