E-M:/ Earth Day Fair Trade Fair in Kalamazoo

EARTH DAY 2005
FAIR TRADE FAIR

Bronson Park in downtown Kalamazoo
Saturday, April 23, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

The Kalamazoo area will celebrate an Earth Day with a difference. Please join us for a celebration of our global community. We have planned a day full of activities for the entire family, including exhibits, music, theatre, crafts, a fashion show and good things to eat.

This year’s event is a Fair Trade Fair in which we seek to help citizens, students, and merchants think about the meaning and origin of the foods, clothing and crafts that fill our lives and how we, as citizens and as consumers, can make choices that will preserve and support cultures, both local and global, helping to build community, enable people to earn a decent livelihood and sustain the living soils and ecosystems on which all livelihoods, communities, cultures, and creatures depend.

Magical Rain Theaterworks will present "Musicians of the Sun", a myth from the ancient Aztecs told with giant puppets and audience participation. Music throughout the day will be presented by Breathe Owl Breathe, The Sinners from Kalamazoo's Corn Fed Girls, Ian Gorman, Michael Ann, and Gregory Stovetop. Benjammin Gauthier will have a special song session for children of all ages, Chris Meazsros will entertain with stories and juggler John Van Hattum will amaze with his skill.

A unique feature will be a series of discussion groups throughout the day focusing on issues of fair trade, social justice and environmental equity.

Visit the website www.kzooearthday.org for a complete schedule of events or to contact a member of the committee.