E-M:/ Director Humphries Lifts Burning Ban on DNR-Managed Land, Urges Caution

Enviro-Mich message from "Richard Morscheck" <morscher@michigan.gov>

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, 21 April 2005
Contact: Mary Dettloff, 517-335-3014

Director Humphries Lifts Burning Ban on DNR-Managed Land, Urges Caution

Michigan Department of Natural Resources Director Rebecca Humphries this morning signed an order to lift the ban on open burning and campfires on DNR-managed land after monitoring efforts showed that an adequate amount of rainfall over the last two days has helped lessen fire danger. However, Humphries urged citizens to use caution with fire on both public and private lands, noting spring is traditionally Michigan's wildfire season.

"While I am relieved we can lift the burning ban on our public lands, we are not out of the wildfire danger season," Humphries said. "I ask citizens to use extreme caution when burning brush or yard debris over the next several weeks, so we can reduce the risk of wildfire damage to our natural resources and private property."

As of this morning, Michigan has experienced 233 fires that have burned 2,940 acres, which compares to 128 fires consuming 897 acres at this time in 2004. This weekend, rain and a mix of snow are possible, according to most weather forecasts for Michigan, which should help keep wildfire risk at a reduced level, Humphries said. The largest wildfire of the season this year burned 1,557 acres in Roscommon County last weekend. The cause of the blaze is still under investigation.

For more information on wildfires and fire prevention, go to the DNR Web site at www.michigan.gov/dnr.

The DNR is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the state's natural resources for current and future generations.

###