Re: E-M:/Audubon Spring Campout May 27-30

Enviro-Mich message from JBull51264@aol.com

Dear Enviro-Michers,
You are all invited to join Michigan and Detroit Audubon members to enjoy the
natural beauty of our state at our first joint Spring Campout at Loon Lake
Lutheran Retreat Center just north of Hale, MI.   It is a great time.   Its good
to stop once-in-awhile to enjoy and remind ourselves about what it is we are
fighting to protect.  You don't have to be a member to come to the Spring
Campout, so do consider coming.  You be welcomed by Auduboners and by the birds
(and flowers etc.).
Jim Bull

LOONS CALLING ACROSS THE LAKE
KIRTLAND’S WARBLERS, EAGLES, CONTRA DANCING, CANOEING,
AND OTHER FUN

IT’S ALL AT THE FIRST JOINT
DETROIT AUDUBON—MICHIGAN AUDUBON

SPRING CAMPOUT
MAY 27-30 (MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND)

Everybody is welcome to join Detroit Audubon and Michigan Audubon members and
friends on the beautiful shores of Loon Lake on Memorial Day Weekend, May
27-30 for birds, music, learning and lots of fun.  As always we’ll go to the
Kirtland’s Warbler Area, Tawas Point, Tuttle Marsh and around camp enjoying a
second look at Spring Migration.  Other birding highlights in the past have been,
Piping Plover, Whimbrels, Western Meadowlarks, nesting Merlins, Pileated
Woodpeckers, Black-throated Blue Warblers and more.  There will be special
afternoon programs for children.   And there is an adventure challenge course you can
try, if you dare!

Saturday Night we will have two programs, one on honey bees by Mary Harmon
and another on geology by Dr. Mary Jane Dockery.   Early Sunday evening we’ll
share poetry and songs to celebrate the earth in an outdoor ceremony.  That will
be followed by a short slidefest by campers who want to share up to five
nature slides.

At 8:00 p.m. Sunday evening we will have live traditional fiddle and guitar
music from the band Dawn’s Early Light, which is led by DAS board member Dawn
Swartz (who hails from Allen Park).  Gil, another band member will call contra,
square and other traditional dances.  Traditional music and camping just seem
to go together.  Bring your own instrument and songbooks if you’d like to jam
or just sing-a-long.

In addition to birding, you can opt to go on an early evening canoe sojourn
around the lake, or a longer float down the Ausable or Rifle River, take a dip
or swim if it’s warm enough (or for you polar bears, even if its not).

Come this year and we know you’ll make it an annual tradition.  The Loon Lake
Campout gets in your bones, the way the eerie call of the Loon itself goes to
the primal core of our beings, delighting us and connecting us with the
continuity and wonder of the natural world.  And you’ll be spending the weekend
with such good people too!

 You can  obtain a registration form for this campout on both organizations'
websites
( http://www.detroitaudubon.org or www.michiganaudubon.org).  If you have
trouble downloading or printing the form, call either of our offices and we can
FAX or send the registration form to you by U.S. Mail.  Michigan Audubon's
office can be reached at 517-886-9144 (M-F 9-5), and Detroit Audubon's office can
be reached at 248-545-2929 (TWTh 8-12, 1-4).