E-M:/ Mountaintop Removal presentations in Muskegon

Enviro-Mich message from "Gayle Miller" <gayle.miller@sierraclub.org>

APPALACHIAN TREASURES: First-Hand Accounts from the Struggle to End
Mountain Top Removal Coal Mining

The Appalachian Treasures Project is a national campaign to end the
suffering and devastation that Mountaintop Removal coal mining has
brought to the land and communities of Appalachia. Come and learn what
people of faith can do to help their neighbors in Appalachia.

The presentation will include first-hand accounts of life in the shadow
of Mountaintop Removal coal mining (MTR) from Bill Price, a resident of
the southern West Virginia coalfields.

Two presentations in the Muskegon area -

*Monday, April 25th
7pm - First Lutheran Church (ELCA)
1206 Whitehall Rd.
Muskegon, MI  49445

*Wednesday, April 27th
7pm - Muskegon Community College - Blue & Gold Room
221 S. Quarterline Rd.
Muskegon, MI  49442

*What is Mountaintop Removal Coal Mining?*

Mountaintop removal coal mining is a relatively new type of strip mining

that involves clear cutting native hardwood trees, blasting up to 1000
feet of mountaintop into rubble, then dumping the debris into nearby
valleys & streams. This practice, dubbed "strip mining on steroids" by
coalfield residents, has already turned 400,000 acres of forested
mountains into barren moonscape in West Virginia alone and buried 1,200
miles of streams across the Appalachian coalfields.  Mountaintop removal

coal mining presently occurs in West Virginia, Kentucky, Virginia, and
Tennessee.

Communities near these mines are forced to contend with appalling
conditions, including destruction of water supplies, continual daily
dynamite blasting that damages homes & wells and creates choking dust,
and the fear of fatal, catastrophic floods with every rainfall.  The
practice is destroying a rich culture & heritage, as well as our
nation's oldest mountains.

You can view images of mountaintop removal at:
http://www.appalachianvoices.org/mtr/gallery.asp

*What is the Appalachian Treasures Project?*

Appalachian Treasures is a project of Appalachian Voices, a non-profit
based in the mountains of North Carolina. Since the 1990s, Appalachian
Voices has been working with coalfield residents to end mountaintop
removal.  Over the course of those years, we realized that mountaintop
removal will only continue if the American people remain unaware that
such an unjust, destructive, and short-sighted enterprise is happening
on our soil.  The goal of Appalachian Treasures is to educate the public

and decision makers about MTR and about efforts to sharply curtail
mountaintop removal.

Your neighbors need your help.  Most coalfield communities are rural and

isolated.  In states where big coal companies hold overwhelming
political power, the opposition of coalfield citizens alone is not
enough to stop mountaintop removal.

That's why we need you.  The Appalachian Treasures outreach tours are
focused on districts of federal Congressional Representatives in key
positions to help pass the Clean Water Protection Act.  The CWPA is a
bill in Congress that will outlaw filling streams with the rock & dirt
from these enormous coal mines & sharply curtail MTR.

Despite the focus of Appalachian Treasures on supporting the Clean Water

Protection Act, our presentation is strictly *nonpartisan* and
educational.  We are building the network of Americans who will help
their neighbors in Appalachia with a letter or phone call to their
elected officials.  Our motto for Appalachian Treasures is "many hands
make light work."

Hope to see you there!

*
--