E-M:/ Food Film in SCS and GPP--May 2005

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 29, 2005

Contact:  Carol Osborne, MOFFA Coordinator, 313-881-2980; carolo@gtlakes.com

Film Explores Genetically Engineered Foods and Organic Alternatives

The public is invited to two free presentations in St Clair Shores and Grosse Pointe Park of The Future of Food, a documentary that explores genetically modified foods and argues for the public's right to have these foods labeled.  Under current interpretations by the US government, genetically engineered foods are 'generally recognized as safe', and no special labels are required.

According to the Pew Initiative on Food and Biotechnology, the United States accounts for nearly 66% of all biotechnology crops planted globally, with over 105 million acres in production.   In Michigan, of the over 10,000,000 acres in farmland, about 75% of our soybeans (1,500,000 acres) and 33% of our corn (726,000 acres) are geneticallly modified crops.   In addition, a recent national study from a Maine environmental group reported that Michigan is home to over 750 approved test plots for genetically modified crops.

The Future of Food investigates the science behind genetic engineering of foods, and explains why many researchers, farmers and health advocates have concerns about the widespread use of this technology in our food system and in our environment.  The film discusses a wide range of issues including antibiotic resistance, food allergies, and the impact on farmers and their practice of saving seeds.  It also highlights the benefits of organic farming and food as an alternative that doesn't rely on this technology.

The Future of Food will be presented Sunday, May 15, from 6 to 8:30 pm at the CRCI Office Building, 23550 Harper Ave (north of 9 Mile and south of Little Mack), and again on Thursday, May 19, from 6:30 to 8:30 pm at the Grosse Pointe Park Public Library, 15175 E Jefferson.  This program is free and open to the public.  Sponsored by the Michigan Organic Food & Farm Alliance, Clean Water Action and Voices for Earth Justice.  For more information, contact MOFFA at 313-881-2980 or carolo@gtlakes.com.

Michigan Organic Food & Farm Alliance (MOFFA), PO Box 36880, Grosse Pointe Farms, MI  48236     www.moffa.org