E-M:/ NRC Honors Land Review Team With Director's Employee Recognition Award

Enviro-Mich message from "Richard Morscheck" <morscher@michigan.gov>

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, 06 May 2005
CONTACT: Mary Dettloff, 517-335-3014

NRC Honors Land Review Team
With Director's Employee Recognition Award

A team of state employees working on the mammoth task of performing a comprehensive land review and consolidation of public lands in Michigan received the 2005 Director's Award for Employee Recognition at the monthly meeting of the Natural Resources Commission. The award was presented as a part of the Department of Natural Resources' State Employee Appreciation Week activities.

"This is a significant effort in our department to review and consolidate the public land holdings of our state," said DNR Director Rebecca Humphries. "This project will be one of the legacies of the 21st century in terms of public land use and management, and the efforts of this team have carried this project from a draft on paper to execution of the plan. Their work will directly impact the quality of life we all share in this state as we move to consolidate our public lands and acquire desired parcels of land for public recreation use."

The employees honored were: Steve DeBrabander of the Forest, Mineral and Fire Management division; Steve Sutton of the Fisheries division; Kerry Wieber of the Parks & Recreation division; Scott Whitcomb of the Wildlife division; Paul Yauk of the Parks & Recreation division; Ed Meadows of the Land & Facilities division; Pat Harlow of the Land & Facilities division; Shirley Businski of the Department of Information Technology (DIT) and Dave Forstat, also of DIT.

"The land consolidation strategy is one of the most important initiatives in the recent history of the department," said NRC Chair Keith Charters. "The NRC is proud of the work this team has done, and the results will be a more effective land use and management strategy for the state."

The Director's Award for Employee Recognition was a long-standing tradition in the department that Director Humphries revived after taking over leadership of the DNR in 2004. It recognizes the outstanding contribution of an individual or group of employees toward the department's mission.

The DNR is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the state's natural resources for current and future generations.

###