E-M:/ Memorial Day Audubon Campout

Enviro-Mich message from JBull51264@aol.com

Dear Enviro-Michers,
You, your friends and relatives are all invited to join Detroit and Michigan
Audubon Societies for our first ever joint Spring Campout (actually we stay in
lodges) on Loon Lake just N. of Hale, Michigan.  We visit Tawas Point, Rifle
River and the Kirtland's Warbler nesting area to name a few off-site places we
go in addition to the beautiful camp itself.  Spend a weekend enjoying the
natural wonders of Michigan you work so hard to protect (and learn a few things
about them while having fun and meeting great people).   You do not have to be
a member of either society to join us for this great weeknd!  Hope some of
you plan on joining us. Here's a flyer about the weekend (registrations are on
our website, www.detroitaudubon.org, click on Spring Campout and then on
Registration form hyperlink).
Jim Bull

LOONS CALLING ACROSS THE LAKE
KIRTLAND’S WARBLERS, EAGLES, CONTRA DANCING, CANOEING,
AND OTHER FUN

IT’S ALL AT THE FIRST JOINT
DETROIT AUDUBON—MICHIGAN AUDUBON

SPRING CAMPOUT
MAY 27-30 (MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND)

Everybody is welcome to join Detroit Audubon and Michigan Audubon members and
friends on the beautiful shores of Loon Lake on Memorial Day Weekend, May
27-30 for birds, music, learning and lots of fun.  As always we’ll go to the
Kirtland’s Warbler Area, Tawas Point, Tuttle Marsh and around camp enjoying a
second look at Spring Migration.  Other birding highlights in the past have been,
Piping Plover, Whimbrels, Western Meadowlarks, nesting Merlins, Pileated
Woodpeckers, Black-throated Blue Warblers and more.  There will be special
afternoon programs for children.   And there is an adventure challenge course you can
try, if you dare!

Saturday Night we will have two programs, one on honey bees by Mary Harmon
and another on geology by Dr. Mary Jane Dockery.   Early Sunday evening we’ll
share poetry and songs to celebrate the earth in an outdoor ceremony.  That will
be followed by a short slidefest by campers who want to share up to five
nature slides.

At 8:00 p.m. Sunday evening we will have live traditional fiddle and guitar
music from the band Dawn’s Early Light, which is led by DAS board member Dawn
Swartz (who hails from Allen Park).  Gil, another band member will call contra,
square and other traditional dances.  Traditional music and camping just seem
to go together.  Bring your own instrument and songbooks if you’d like to jam
or just sing-a-long.

In addition to birding, you can opt to go on an early evening canoe sojourn
around the lake, or a longer float down the Ausable or Rifle River, take a dip
or swim if it’s warm enough (or for you polar bears, even if its not).

Come this year and we know you’ll make it an annual tradition.  The Loon Lake
Campout gets in your bones, the way the eerie call of the Loon itself goes to
the primal core of our beings, delighting us and connecting us with the
continuity and wonder of the natural world.  And you’ll be spending the weekend
with such good people too!

Kirtland’s Warbler (male), photo by Jim Bull    A registration form is
enclosed.  You can also obtain a registration form for this campout on our website
at:  http://www.detroitaudubon.org.   If you don’t have computer access call
our office at 248-545-2929 to ask for a registration form to be sent or faxed.

Detroit Audubon Society
Campout Detailsome
Field Tripsntat
WHEN: Friday evening May 27 (no dinner provided) through Monday lunch, May
30, 2005
WHERE: Loon Lake Lutheran Retreat Center (formerly Camp Mahn-Go-Tahsee) just
north of Hale, Michigan on M-65 and about 25 miles inland from Tawas City in
forested Iosco County. Registration 5-9:00 p.m. Friday May 25, Seaholm Lodge.
(Let us know if you can't make it until later).
ACCOMMODATIONS: Sealholm Lodge at Camp Mahn-Go-Tahsee has separate heated
sleeping areas with bunk beds for men and women. There are two heated mini-lodges
available with (priority given to families with young children. We will have
at least two summer cabins available this year. A few more are possible only
in if we exceed 100 campers. You can also choose to stay in a motel and join us
for meals and programs.
MEALS: Eight meals included with registration: Saturday and Sunday evening
snacks, three meals on Saturday and Sunday, plus breakfast and noon meal on
Monday. Vegetarian options available.
CAMPOUT PROGRAM: The weekend will start Friday night with a get-acquainted
activity and program in Seaholm Lodge (8:00 p.m. or after most folks have
arrived). Evening programs, exciting field trips, night hike, children’s programs,
canoeing and a variety of nature activities will be offered every day.
CONFIRMATION: Your reservation confirmation will include a map of the area,
list of things to bring, directions to camp and other pertinent materials.
PRE-CAMPOUT INQUIRIES: Jim Bull 313-928-2950, Jeanette Henderson 517-886-9144
(all registration questions should be directed to Jeanette).
COSTS (per person):
                        Weekend pkg                 Day Use     Daily
Daily
                        (meals, lodging, program)       (all wknd)  (Sat,
Sun)    (Mon.)
Adult                       $150                    $100        $50     $20
Child (K-8)             $  85                   $  50       $25     $10
Child (Pre-K)           Free                    Free        Free        Free

The Detroit Audubon Society was founded in 1939.
We are one of only two chapters of National Audubon Society in Michigan.  Our
members are throughout SE Michigan from Macomb County south to Monroe County
and west through Ann Arbor.  Our mission is to promote awareness and
protection of the environment through education, research and advocacy.  We support
local activities to foster the preservation of  birds and the clean air, water,
wetlands, grasslands, woodlands and other natural resources they depend upon.
People can support our efforts by becoming members.
Contributions can be sent to the above address or call 248-545-2929 for more
information.