To: "Enviro-mich" <enviro-mich@great-lakes.net>
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2005 10:24 PM
Subject: E-M:/ Government inaction - the rule, not the exception

Enviro-Mich message from Doug Cowherd <dcow2@yahoo.com>

I've seen the government malfeasance Bill Tobler is
referring to in his area regarding regulation of water
resources, and heartily endorse his comments.  He's
done great work against long odds caused by systematic
inaction by state and local governments.  The Sierra
Club honored Bill with one award for this - but by
rights he deserves a dozen.

The pattern Bill describes seems to me to be endemic.
It's the exception, not the rule, when the State of
Michigan comes anywhere close to protecting nature
when special interests are at stake.  And local
governments are even more commonly prone to being
politically compromised and lacking in expertise.

This is true in small townships as Bill describes, and
it's true even in Ann Arbor, where the residents are
far out in front of our public officials on
environmental matters.  Here in Michigan's alleged
"environmental mecca" we've seen City Hall endorse the
bulldozing of an endangered species habitat, take
steps to sell city parkland, fumble the Greenbelt
program, reject the proposed Ann Arbor Greenway, and
now even suppress a public hearing on this topic.
These are just the most recent actions that attack the
public interest and the environment.

Only public outcry keeps elected officials in line,
for reasons that are likely obvious to all here.

Doug Cowherd
Co-chair, Sierra Club-Huron Valley Group
www.michigan.sierraclub.org/huron

Yahoo! Mail Mobile
http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail